Aspiring Contributor
WhiteLightning
Accepted Solution

Connecting with a Wireless Printer on Home Hub 3.

How do I get a XP Notebook to connect with the HP Photosmart 6510 connected wirelessly to my BT Home Hub 3.

My Network Places shows BT Home Hub 3.

Double click on HH3 and scrolling down to My Home Network.

You can see HPFE0AAB under wireless network, which is the HP Photosmart 6510.

According to the Photosmart it’s url is 192.168.7.71 and it is correctly connected to the hub.

The XP Notebook does have the relevant basic printing drivers installed for the Photosmart.

Perhaps I should add that I gave up trying to connect the Windows 8 Desktop to the printer wirelessly and used a USB instead. I’m not sure if the problem is with the set up of the Notebook or the Hub. I have tried turning off firewalls which so far seems to make no difference. I am running MSE on the Notebook and Defender on the Desk Top.

I've tried so many approaches I'mgoing round in circles.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Connecting with a Wireless Printer on Home Hub 3.

There must be a sudden rush of people buying wireless printers !

There is some help here

Important - help with printers

If you are having specific problems with your printer, I will try to help.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

I don’t wish to sound flippant but setting up the printer should be easy if you follow the set up instructions in the manual. Here is a link to it if you don’t already have it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02983796.pdf

As you already have one computer connected by USB I assume you used the set up disc that came with the printer.

It is important that you follow the instructions to the letter.

You will start at the section in Connectivity page 36   Wireless with a router (infrastructure network)

Work your way through the instructions. You can change the USB connected printer to work wirelessly again by following the instructions.

If this doesn’t help come back to the forum with what specifically is happening or not happening and hopefully the problem will be sorted out for you.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Aspiring Contributor
WhiteLightning

I do have the Manual and the HP tells me it IS connected to the wireless network. It has an IP address and Wireless is turned on. I used this link to try to set up wireless printer sharing, http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

All seems fine until you try to print a test page and nothing happens.

The print queue shows the document and an 'error'.

Back to square one again.

If I interrogate the Hub it shows the Notebook and HPFEOAAB connected wirelessly. I have taken the second designation to be the HP printer.

Expert
conrad

I'm not a techhie but having looked at the set up link you provided have you ticked the do not share this printer box as shown - if you have you may need to change this to yes as you appear to have more than one computer using the printer.

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Here are the GENERAL steps on how to add a wireless printer on your wireless network.

As you have said that it is already connected and visible to the network it is a case of checking the settings below then if ok go to “adding printer to your networked computer” section

The wireless printer must have a static (i.e., manual) IP address assigned to it from your network IP address range. It cannot be DHCP enabled, otherwise every time DHCP assigns a new address, your printer port will stop working.

How to set a manual IP address on your printer:

When the printer is connected to the network the first time, the router will assign an IP address to it. To get the IP address that the printer was assigned, find the printer on your network and right click on it. It will bring up a properties box. The IP address for the printer will be found somewhere in there.

Using an Internet browser, type the IP address of the printer into the address line of the browser and press enter. It should bring up a printer configuration window.

Now, since each printer is different, I can't give you the exact steps, HOWEVER, here's what you are looking for:

Find a Network - TCP/IP configuration menu. Somewhere in that menu, it will give you the choice of setting a manual or static IP address versus a DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) assigned address.

You want to manually set the IP address to the address given on the configuration page. This would normally be 192.168.1.xx. The subnet mask will normally be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway will normally be the IP of the router, usually 192.168.1.254

Once the IP address is assigned permanently to the printer as a static address, you are now ready to add the printer to each computer on your network.

Add the Printer to Your Networked Computers

In Windows XP, follow these steps to add the wireless printer to your computer:

1. Go to Start, Printers and Faxes.
  2. Double click on Add Printer
  3. Click Next.
  4. On the Local or Network Printer dialog box, choose Local Printer and UNCHECK the box that says "Automatically detect" the printer. Click Next.
  5. On the Select a Printer Port window, choose to Create a New Port, and then under Type of Port, choose Standard TCP/IP port. Click Next.
  6. Make sure the printer is On and Ready, and connected to the network. Click Next.
  7. Type in the static IP address of the printer that you set in the steps above. Click Next.
  8. It will then try to connect to that IP address. It you typed it wrong, or the printer is off, it will come back and give you an error.
  9. If all is well, it should then ask you for the printer driver. Either set it to find the driver that you have previously installed or insert the CD for the printer, and find the Windows XP version of the driver. 
  10.  Then choose the driver you want to install.
  11.  Click Next. It will install the driver and ask you to name the printer.
  12.  When it is done, click Finish. (You can choose to print a test page if you want).

Hope this helps.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Which is basically what it says on my link. There are a few printers listed on my website, but not the HP yet.

Help with setting up routers, wireless repeaters, TVs and printers, VOIP Phones

The problem is, that its quite difficult to get at the printer`s  network settings on some models:smileysad:

If the OP returns to this thread, then it may be possible to provide more help.

As they have not posted here for 12 days, we have to assume that the problem has now been sorted.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Hi Keith I wasn't trying to steal your thunder but the OP posted again yesterday and as you hadn't replied I thought I would try and give him a step by step guide.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Its not a problem, sometimes people do not bother to click on links, or report back to say whether they have fixed the problem or not.

The issue posted by conrad, which was directed to the OP, about printer sharing, is not relevant, as its being shared over wireless, which I am assuming is the case?

Most of the printer/Smart TV stuff is gleaned from external websites, as a result of people asking about a specific issue.

Sooner that put the information in a posting, where it eventually gets lost in the tens of thousands of messages, I prefer to put it on my website, where its easy to link to, and update if needed.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

WhiteLightning wrote:

You can see HPFE0AAB under wireless network, which is the HP Photosmart 6510.

According to the Photosmart it’s url is 192.168.7.71 and it is correctly connected to the hub.

That IP address is in the wrong IP subnet. The home hubs IP subnet is 192.168.1.XXX, which is why you need to set it up manually.