Contributor
dmackay41
Accepted Solution

Current advice on connecting IP camera to BT Infinity?

I am trying to connect an IP camera in order to view remotely. I can view OK on the home network. I have HomeHub3, Type A.

I have tried before (unsuccessfully) to connect an IP camera to an Orange Livebox in France, but not here in the UK with BT Infinity HH3, but presume the basic rules are the same.

I have seen previous older posts on here, and on the net stating problems with remote connections using HH3, and whether a DDNS account is required or not.

Can anyone give me any current advice on how to connect an IP camera (VStarcam) to a HH3 so I can view remotely.?

Thank you.

Expert
ray_dorset

Re: Current advice on connecting IP camera to BT Infinity?

Just plug it in and forward the port it requires.

You'll need a dynamic DNS because Infinity has a dynamic IP
Guru
Devon_Dave

I tried using a version a home hub and gave up as could not forward ports, tried a version B and was ok.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Devon_Dave wrote:

I tried using a version a home hub and gave up as could not forward ports, tried a version B and was ok.

Agreed, there are major issues with the HH3 version A, so you will need to use a version B, or a different router.

This link should help, it actually gives an example of a different CCTV system, but the procudure for port forwarding is the same.

Apollo Zeus CCTV - Port forwarding, plus iPad and PC instructions.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
dmackay41

[ Edited ]

So basically, port forwarding aside, my HH3 will not support my IP camera to work remotely?

The link provided from Keith re the Apollo Zeus CCTV says,  "Application settings. These are for the home hub 2, but the home  hub 3 settings are similar."  Does HH3 work?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

dmackay41 wrote:

So basically, port forwarding aside, my HH3 will not support my IP camera to work remotely?

You may be lucky to get the HH3A to work, but it will probably stop after a while. This has been my experience with another installation, and the experience of other forum members. The B version works fine.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
dmackay41

Thanks Keith, I am busy looking at your link to look for a replacement router. Thanks again.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Just seen your edit.

If you can get a version B, then that is one option, otherwise there is an alternative list here.

Replacements for BT home hub 3

Many cheap cable routers also work fine.

Contributor
dmackay41

Thanks for that Keith...I will just have to find a remote setup service in the UK, if there is one ! :smileywink:

Contributor
dmackay41

Just found a version B off eBay for a few pounds :smileyvery-happy:

It does`nt come with an installation disc. I presume any BT Broadband installation disc will be ok to use?, ie the one for my own HH3?