Contributor
ian01

Email SMTP Server

I am working abroad andusing my btinternet.com email account on a MacBook Pro 10.8.4 Mail client

Incoming email OK - outgoing email occasionally good - other times I get the following Alert: 

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Btinternet IMAP” or try again.

The server returned the error: Mail was unable to log in to the IMAP server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” using “Password” authentication. Verify that your account settings are correct.

The server returned the error: Please verify your account by going to https://login.yahoo.com (#MBR1213)

This presumably means that there is a SMTP server error. If I log into webmail password information is correct and the Mail alert disappears for a while.

Two questions that perhaps the forum can help with:

why does this happen - BT SMTP server seems to dislike connection when not on a BT Broadband service - obviously not possible when abroad

how can I avoid this - I remember reading about ignoring the BT SMTP server and using an alternative SMTP server (such as a Gmail account) - if I do this email sent from my account does not appear to come from my BT email address

Many thanks