Aspiring Contributor
bonzo65

Re: Email account hacked - mods please help

"One point to consider. If you change the password then how can it be hacked again?"

I don't know but how was it hacked in the first place? I'm a Mac user and have run virus checks which show nothing amiss. I also hardly ever visit the Yahoo website preferring to send my mail from my desktop app.

Distinguished Guru
DS

bonzo65 wrote:

sorry, am I missing something?

I have deleted all contacts but the account is still live

Hi again Steve

What I was trying to put to you was if you deleted your contacts from your email account, nobody could send spam to any of these now removed contacts whilst you are waiting for BT to delete the account.

The upto 90 day delay is ,IIRC, a standard length of time set by BT (If you leave BT, the account should/would be automatically deleted anyway by BT, unless you paid a monthly premium to retain the address).

At the time of my initial post, I was not aware that you had already deleted the contacts from your account.

My next suggestion if the account had not been deleted after 90 days, would of been to send an email via their contact us page, but I see that a mod has now picked this up for you:smileyhappy:

They'll see to it.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Contributor
bonzo65

quick thanks to Sean who appears to have sorted the problem :smileywink:

however, the fact that he achieved, in less than a couple of hours, what BT customer services could not do in 3 days speaks volumes

cheers

steve

Expert
minusdot

Shows how special the moderators are! :-)

Deleting the primary account is always a fairly big deal as that's their default point of contact.

Vivienne5357

I've had my email address hacked too.  It was a sub account.  I have deleted the account but people from my contact list are still getting bombarded with spam from this address.  What else can I do to stop it?  Thanks

Guru
Andy_N

Vivienne5357 wrote:

I've had my email address hacked too.  It was a sub account.  I have deleted the account but people from my contact list are still getting bombarded with spam from this address.  What else can I do to stop it?  Thanks

Hi. Wlcome to the forums.

When you say you have deleted the sub account, is this within your primary access via My Account & Billing ?

Actually a simple password change would stop the spam being sent from your account, if this was actually the case. To be honest if some of your contacts are still being sent spam "from" your email address, then there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Spammers forge "From" addresses, and hence any received by your contacts could easily just be a pure coincidence. Spammers have lists of 10s of millions of email addresses, and it's likely that a lot of your contacts will be on it. So if the spammer happens to choose your email address as the "From" address - then they will see this spam. It doesn't mean that your account was hacked.

It could actually be any of your contacts that may have been compromised. If any of them send jokes around for example, including lots of email addresses, then anyone of them infected with a trojan, spyware or virus can easily compromise all the email addresses in the list.

Vivienne5357

Hi, Thanks for responding so quickly, much appreciated.  Yes I deleted the sub-account which was within my primary access via my account and billing.  A bit drastic I know but I felt it was safer to do that.  I'm gutted that nothing can be done about the 'from' address that the spammers are using because they are being sent to my work, my bank and everything, it's a nightmare having to explain to these people why they are getting silly emails.  I'v never opened an email with a Trojan or anything as the virus checker I've got through BT always warns me so then I just delete without opening it.....ah well if nothing can be done that's it then.  I hope the other end can do something but I'll still get it in the neck because they think it's come from me <sigh>

Guru
Andy_N

Vivienne5357 wrote:

Hi, Thanks for responding so quickly, much appreciated.  Yes I deleted the sub-account which was within my primary access via my account and billing.  A bit drastic I know but I felt it was safer to do that.  I'm gutted that nothing can be done about the 'from' address that the spammers are using because they are being sent to my work, my bank and everything, it's a nightmare having to explain to these people why they are getting silly emails.  I'v never opened an email with a Trojan or anything as the virus checker I've got through BT always warns me so then I just delete without opening it.....ah well if nothing can be done that's it then.  I hope the other end can do something but I'll still get it in the neck because they think it's come from me <sigh>

There should be no way that you are being blamed for a spammer using your email address in their spam run. This has been going on for a very long time, and not new. The people blaming you should really be aware that this can happen.

When you get spam sent to you, the spammers never use their own email addresses in the "From" or "Reply-to" area - these are forged as someone elses, or even just random. This means that the poor unfortunate person who's email address was forged could get 10s of 1000s of non delivery or bounce messages.

Beginner
AndyVdG

Same here, primary account has been hacked into and I am locked out!

I urgently need the account deactivating and/or deleting!

Sent mail to the helpdesk for support,though Mod support would be welcome!

Andy.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

AndyVdG wrote:

Same here, primary account has been hacked into and I am locked out!

I urgently need the account deactivating and/or deleting!

Sent mail to the helpdesk for support,though Mod support would be welcome!

Andy.

Just change your password here https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/load_page?page=/selfhelp/pwdRst_username.html

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.