Beginner
AndyVdG

Re: Email account hacked - mods please help

Thanks for the reply, I just get this when I attempt to login:

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to register.btinternet.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
          Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue."

I always used get onto my bt mail without issue, and now I am warned not to go there. This makes me think it's hacked, therefore I'd prefer to get rid. My connection is secure.

Beginner
VivP

Dear Steve,

You have my enormous sympathy as this happened to me on Friday afternoon and I was in tears of frustration. I.literally spent hours on this only to be cut off several times when trying to get help from BT.

I am in Mallorca at the moment where I have an old Spanish desktop with Windows. . I have an iPad and iPhone which I bring from the Uk and the Windows had infected the BT Yahoo account on every device. I only realised what had happened because of the huge amount of mail failures I received as soon as I came into the house and the wifi connected to my iPhone.

I contacted (by mistake) thinking they were BT ! A company called Techvech.
Techvech found a hacker in the system of the Windows desktop - he was called Jason haha - I paid £129 by card for them to wipe the system clean and install new security. I had not updated the security on the system as I usually use my Apple which is secure.

I now have sent apologies and warnings to as many of my address book as possible, opened a new gmail account,eventually managed to get through to someone at BT and change the bt password but still need to cancel the account with BT. I can't face another day of phone calls to them so have sent an email!

I hope this helps you as if you have the same type of hacker as me you need to get them out of the system, change password and cancel your email account.

Hopefully some of the people who opened the link will have better security already on their computer. It was partly my fault for not securing the oldSpanish computer and thus allowing access to all my Apple devices.

Good luck and try not to worry as this seems to have happened to a lot of people. One friend received my virus link and then again from someone else on Friday!

I totally agree that BT is totally inept. apple were so helpful but they couldn't do anything about the BT account but at least you can speak to them and they will help you. Each etch were excellent and so it was worth the money.

Best wishes

Vivienne

Ps Have unplugged Spanish computer now!!!
Guru
Andy_N

VivP wrote:
Dear Steve,

You have my enormous sympathy as this happened to me on Friday afternoon and I was in tears of frustration. I.literally spent hours on this only to be cut off several times when trying to get help from BT.

I am in Mallorca at the moment where I have an old Spanish desktop with Windows. . I have an iPad and iPhone which I bring from the Uk and the Windows had infected the BT Yahoo account on every device. I only realised what had happened because of the huge amount of mail failures I received as soon as I came into the house and the wifi connected to my iPhone.

I contacted (by mistake) thinking they were BT ! A company called Techvech.
Techvech found a hacker in the system of the Windows desktop - he was called Jason haha - I paid £129 by card for them to wipe the system clean and install new security. I had not updated the security on the system as I usually use my Apple which is secure.

I now have sent apologies and warnings to as many of my address book as possible, opened a new gmail account,eventually managed to get through to someone at BT and change the bt password but still need to cancel the account with BT. I can't face another day of phone calls to them so have sent an email!

I hope this helps you as if you have the same type of hacker as me you need to get them out of the system, change password and cancel your email account.

Hopefully some of the people who opened the link will have better security already on their computer. It was partly my fault for not securing the oldSpanish computer and thus allowing access to all my Apple devices.

Good luck and try not to worry as this seems to have happened to a lot of people. One friend received my virus link and then again from someone else on Friday!

I totally agree that BT is totally inept. apple were so helpful but they couldn't do anything about the BT account but at least you can speak to them and they will help you. Each etch were excellent and so it was worth the money.

Best wishes

Vivienne

Ps Have unplugged Spanish computer now!!!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

You are replying to a 2 year old thread, the one you require is probably this one :-

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762

As for the windows machine infecting the account on the devices, the account isn't on any particular device - and frankly infecting the other devices is impossible.

If you actually had huge amounts of mail failures, are you sure that your account was actually hacked ? When you say huge, do you mean 10s, 100s or 1000s ? If the latter, then this usually indicates that your email address has been used as the "From" address in a spam run - and not any virus infection or hack.

Who are techvech ? - did they login to your computer remotely ? If you paid money to them, you might actually want to consider cancelling the card, as you may have indavertently passed your card details to some nefarious people.

When they said "Jason" was in the system - what did they mean by that ? Either way it's not true. What security did they put on the computer ?

Please don't believe that Apple computers are totally secure, because they are not. There have been some high profile attacks and viruses on Macs in the past year.

How are they getting access to your Apple devices ?

Beginner
VivP

Hi,

Yes have realised now that replied to old message" shoes how hopeless I am on the computer! Techvech can be verified as a proper company and I just got onto them by mistake as was trying to contact BT for help. as I am in Mallorca at the moment I have been using a Desktop with an old windows system that was not secured. For payment we used a bank account card with very little in just to be on the safe side. the guy in India showed me the "hacker" who had come in under the name of Jason haha! I was very suspicious and rang back to Techvech and BT checked their telephone number was a genuine number. BT was hopeless but eventually I changed my password. I have an iPad and iPhone with me andI just deletedc the BT Yahoo account on both and have just put it on again so I could check this forum.

I don't have thousands of email addresses but it seemed that an email went to almost everyone and the ones that were email failures were those that went to old addresses etc. If you look up Techvech you will see that they do exist.

I hope that by putting security in the Windows computer here in Spain and by changing password and I will when I can cope its speaking to BT again cancel that email address. Am now using a different account and have emailed most of my friends.

Thank you Andy for your help. I had hoped Apple would be secure as never seem to get spam on my devices but have just found an email from a friend with a spam like link so have deleted. I have also unplugged the Spanish computer!! I have in the past got horrible things popping up on it so think that must be wear all this trouble came from.

Best wishes and thank you
charliec17

My BT Yahoo e-mail was also hacked last weekend and as a result they have access two of my bank accounts and made fraudulent transactions.   The e-mail is my main e-mail account, any advice anyone?

Aspiring Contributor
BrianB

I'm no expert in these matters but I would suggest, if you haven't done so, you should contact your banks as a matter of urgency.
Also, did you realise that you had posted to a topic that had been "solved" and might not get picked up by an expert who could help with the email side of things and explain how to change password and security details. The topic after this one is currently (very) active and ongoing
Beginner
Dolwar

My BTYahoo Mail account was hacked over the weekend: all my contacts were sent a help demand purporting to come from Manila.

After a wait of some 20 minutes, the helpful online help team were able to help me to detect that a forwarding address was still sending my emails somewhere else. All my contacts have been deleted. 

The email is now working, and passwords have been reset twice. However, all my accumulated emails - representing masses of valuable information which I use professionally - have disappeared. 

I want these restored: surely BT has backup. However, the 'chatline' help service has now taken to disconnecting the caller when he or she reaches No 1 in the queue. 

How do I get my lost emails back?