Aspiring Contributor
bee2tee

Email at btinternet.com and My BT passwords

I am having a lot of trouble with passwords for my email at btinternet.com and My BT. The trouble started when I tried to log into My BT.

After failing to login to My BT because I did not input the correct email or password, I thought that I would go to my email at btinternet.com to find my My BT login details.  The system said I was not entering the correct password (in spite of the fact that I WAS entering the correct password) and I then had to reset my email at btinternet.com three times before I could get in to see my emails :smileysad:  

I don't have my password for My BT, so I need to do the "Forgotten your password" routine.

Sorry if I am a bit stupid, but am I correct in thinking that the password for my email at btinternet.com is NOT AUTOMATICALLY the same as for My BT.  Please note I never use the same password for different websites.

This question my sound a bit stupid but I am fed up going round and round in circles entering new passwords?

EQUIPMENT: BT2500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.4.
Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Re: Email at btinternet.com and My BT passwords

You have to register for MyBT. See the following link. You do not need to have the same log on details as your BTYahoo log on. Once you have registered and logged on you can go into "profile" and change the user name and password to what ever you like.

https://www.bt.com/reg/consumer/displayPage.do;jsessionid=DbH0R51SZmJJrTsCbGyfsCX2HqGvTvXB1b9vFvH2ZC...

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Aspiring Contributor
bee2tee

[ Edited ]

Thanks, but I think that I have registered at My BT as the system accepts my btinternet.com email address but not any passwords that I input.  However, I cannot find any obvious email referencing My BT, except one from bt.comteam@bt.com titled "Registration details" which says "Thank you for registering on BT.com. etc" and goes on mentioning BT.com but does NOT mention My BT and it does not give my password only my login name :smileysad:

I am reluctant to login to My BT until I know precisely what I am doing because it took me about 30 mins to finally see my btinternet.com emails after I initially tried to log into My BT and failed.  BT has severely stretched my patience!

EQUIPMENT: BT2500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.4.
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Neither the username nor the password need to be the same for MyBT and email.  Mine were the same until the MyBT server went haywire one evening and I had to change the password.  Now they are different.

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

If you did not fill out the form on the link I posted then as far as I am aware you will not have registered for MyBT.

I think you need to treat this as two separate things:

1) Can you log onto your BTYahoo email account. This will need you to input your xxxxx@btinternet.com email address and password at this link.

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=uk&.partner=bt-1&.done=http%3a//bt.yahoo.com/%3f

If you can log onto that then that is your first problems solved.

2) Have you registered for MyBT by completing either the registration link that I posted or any other method where you had to input your account details, email address etc.

If you have you should be able to log onto MyBT by using the username and password you used to register.

If you have not then use the link and register for MyBT. I suspect that you are not registered and should use the link.

If you have registered it will either re register you or tell you that you are already registered.

https://www.bt.com/reg/consumer/displayPage.do;jsessionid=9GhrR5BJy9C2xh0DDHTJ8KLhv6TbHqld6WXn9jsQl9...

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"