Spondy

Emails keep going to Trash in BT Yahoo

Can anyone please help?

When my computer is switched off all my emails go to Trash in BT Yahoo. When I switch on I  have to drag them all from Trash into the Inbox. They then deliver to Windows Live Mail which is my preferred email program.

When my computer is switched on emails deliver in the main direct to Windows Live Mail, but with a few still droppoing into Trash at BT Yahoo.

I have tried technical support three times and sadly they do nothing to help

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Emails keep going to Trash in BT Yahoo

Spondy wrote:

Can anyone please help?

When my computer is switched off all my emails go to Trash in BT Yahoo. When I switch on I  have to drag them all from Trash into the Inbox. They then deliver to Windows Live Mail which is my preferred email program.

When my computer is switched on emails deliver in the main direct to Windows Live Mail, but with a few still droppoing into Trash at BT Yahoo.

I have tried technical support three times and sadly they do nothing to help

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Since the introduction of the "Trash folder" feature - where emails received in a mail client program such as Windows Mail (and others e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird etc) with the option "leave messages on server" not set, they get sent to the Trash folder in webmail rather than removed. In my case they get deleted every week.

To be honest I'm not sure why the emails would be delivered to the Trash folder only. Having your computer turned off or on would make no difference to the email delivery, it's only when the emails are "fetched" would the Trash folder come into play.

There are some possible scenarios for this ... one being that your account has somehow been compromised, and another person is getting those emails. Do you access your emails from a smartphone or similar device ? Does anyone else you know have access to your account ?

Initially I would alter your password (see my shortcuts option 3 for a quick link) to see if that stops the problem you are seeing.

Spondy

Thanks for your suggestions - I do use an HTC phone to read my emails when not at home, emails get delivered to my inbox on the phone. I shall keep plugging away to see if I can find a remedy

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Is your HTC phone also receiving your emails when you are at home?

If you are using POP3 to download emails, there should be a setting in your email client to "leave mesages on server" or some such.  If that is not selected, the emails are moved into the trash folder as soon as the email client has downloaded them.

Guru
Andy_N

Ectophile wrote:

Is your HTC phone also receiving your emails when you are at home?

If you are using POP3 to download emails, there should be a setting in your email client to "leave mesages on server" or some such.  If that is not selected, the emails are moved into the trash folder as soon as the email client has downloaded them.

I was just about to reply with the same question, though the OP did imply that they were moving to Trash without being seen initially.

Beginner
jimbo6389

I am having the same problem - I only read my e-mail in outlook express because I can't handle all the garbage on the bt yahoo mail page or the way the address book looks - most of my e-mails are going straight into the bt trash folder, they are not spam but regular e-mails from contacts - I am getting angry phone calls from friends asking why I am not responding to their e-mails, but I am not getting them in the first place - this is driving me nuts - I want all my e-mails to come to me from wherever - I want to have the freedom to decide what is or is not spam or trash, but I am clearly not being allowed this courtesy - I have been online and filled in a contact e-mail asking for help from tech support - I got a phone call from somewhere in Asia telling me there is nothing wrong, the person at the other end was exceedingly polite and friendly but did not understand my problem, they just said they had tested my service and all was well - there were indeed test e-mails arriving in outlook express , but the problem persists and I feel liike I am being abused by a very expensive service, with some of the slowest broadband speeds around, all I ask is that I get my e-mails - I neither desire nor require any bells or whistles, and object to advertising

Guru
Andy_N

jimbo6389 wrote:

I am having the same problem - I only read my e-mail in outlook express because I can't handle all the garbage on the bt yahoo mail page or the way the address book looks - most of my e-mails are going straight into the bt trash folder, they are not spam but regular e-mails from contacts - I am getting angry phone calls from friends asking why I am not responding to their e-mails, but I am not getting them in the first place - this is driving me nuts - I want all my e-mails to come to me from wherever - I want to have the freedom to decide what is or is not spam or trash, but I am clearly not being allowed this courtesy - I have been online and filled in a contact e-mail asking for help from tech support - I got a phone call from somewhere in Asia telling me there is nothing wrong, the person at the other end was exceedingly polite and friendly but did not understand my problem, they just said they had tested my service and all was well - there were indeed test e-mails arriving in outlook express , but the problem persists and I feel liike I am being abused by a very expensive service, with some of the slowest broadband speeds around, all I ask is that I get my e-mails - I neither desire nor require any bells or whistles, and object to advertising

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

Do you use any other email client program on a different computer to read your emails, or is it just on one computer ? Are all the emails ending up in the Trash, and not going in the Inbox at all ?

You can check the latter by sending yourself emails via OE, then checking on webmail at the same time. Some may go into the Spam folder because it doesn't "expect" to get emails from you.

It might be prudent to alter your password (see my shortcuts - link below - option 3), in case someone has managed to get you email address and password combination and using something like OE to get the emails.

Beginner
jimbo6389

not all e-mails Andy,thank you for your reply, about half of the total I would say, completely at random. they are not spam, just perfectly innocent e-mails which get trashed for no apparent rhyme or reason - I use no other client than bt yahoo, and use no other computer - I can highlight and move all these missing e-mails to the inbox and then later view them in outlook express, but I should not need to do this.

Guru
Andy_N

jimbo6389 wrote:

not all e-mails Andy,thank you for your reply, about half of the total I would say, completely at random. they are not spam, just perfectly innocent e-mails which get trashed for no apparent rhyme or reason - I use no other client than bt yahoo, and use no other computer - I can highlight and move all these missing e-mails to the inbox and then later view them in outlook express, but I should not need to do this.

Hi again.

The spam ones don't get moved to the Trash folder anyway by default, so it's the normal ones.

If they seem to be at random, rather than say up to a certain time, then it would probably count out someone else accessing your email account.

I still think it might be an idea to change your password and monitor for a few days to see what happens.

Beginner
jimbo6389

thanks for your input Andy - such joy - I woke up this morning, checked outlook express - nothing, checked my bt mail online and all emails were in the trash folder - none whatsoever in my inbox, everything was in my trash folder including suspected spam - I will change my password as you suggest when I remember what the old one was because I haven't a clue, funnily enough the same scenario was the norm about a year ago, for some time I was getting little or no e-mail via outlook and most of my e-mails were being trashed for no apparent reason - the problem went away after about three months of this