Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

Galaxy S3 WON'T connect to Home Hub, prefers BT Fon or Openzone - GGRRRRRRRRRRRR

Have had S3 since August and has always connected to Home Hub with no problems.  This weekend for some reason it will not connect - I select it, it says signal very strong and authenticating and then nothing it just goes back to the WiFi List of Networks marked as "disabled". and FON takes over the wifi.  I have tried "forgetting" every other network apart from the Home Hub but as fast as I forget them they reappear and reconnect again.   BTFon and Openzone both connecting no trouble.  

I have rebooted HomeHub and computer, rebooted phone, uninstalled the BT wifi app etc etc etc.  I have even tried changing the channels on the HomeHub - nothing has worked.   I went on the Events Log on the Home Hub and it says, repeatedly - 

LOGIN wireless station [my mobiles MAC address] can't get authorized.   But WHY???

I have had an email from BT saying my FON usage is high and I will have to keep signing back in every 30 minutes and I am sure it is because my mobile is connecting to FON (at home) instead of the Home Hub.  Also I prefer to be connected to the Home Hub bacause it is secure whereas FON and Openzone aren't.

Anyone out there know why it does this - any suggestions fallen upon greedily 

Distinguished Sage

Re: Galaxy S3 WON'T connect to Home Hub, prefers BT Fon or Openzone - GGRRRRRRRRRRRR

[ Edited ]

Are you sure that you have the wireless key entered correctly?

There seems to be a lot of problems with this device. See,

http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3AOthe...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Sage

Re: Galaxy S3 WON'T connect to Home Hub, prefers BT Fon or Openzone - GGRRRRRRRRRRRR

Also try resetting the home hub to default.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru

Try updating your s3 to the latest software version: Samsung were aware of this issue in the past and they subsequently published an update.

Settings>Phone>Software update [do it via wi-fi if you can].

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Beginner

Thanks Keith - your password comment made me think!
Everytime I "forgot" the home hub on my phone and then reconnected, it asked for password (not pass key) so I was typing in my BT wifi password everytime so have just done it again using the hub passkey and success! !! So for anyone else with a Samsung S3 out there it is down to the wrong prompt words being used in the connection box on the phone - when I think of all the hours I have spent tinkering over the last few days . . . . Again many thanks Keith and happy new year :-)
Beginner

And thanks Allan too but I had updated the phones firmware last week and it had been fine
Distinguished Sage

AquariasLass wrote:

You would also be surprised at the number of people who try to connect PCs to their home hub, using the Admin password, and not the wireless key :smileywink:

Its often the simplest things that cause the most frustration.

Expert

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

AquariasLass wrote:

You would also be surprised at the number of people who try to connect PCs to their home hub, using the Admin password, and not the wireless key :smileywink:

Its often the simplest things that cause the most frustration.

Me for one,   :smileyembarrassed:

When I had my android tablet new, it asked for the password not the wireless key.

With a lot of help from  forum members I am now up and running fine.

Have you tryed re entering in the wireless key..As for many days my sister and husband could not connect their samsung S3 mini to their Bt hub 3....Today i suggested about the new Hub 4 shown on tv...They phoned bt to enquire about the hub 4 and told them the problem they was having.....They said the phone should connect to hub 3..Turned out my Brother in law was typing in a capital F when in fact it was a lower case f in the key they had to enter. Now My sister and husband samsung s3 mini both connect to the wiireless internet...Just try again with your key and enter the letters carefully and hopefully it will connect:smileyhappy:

Aspiring Contributor

Variation on the theme of this post.

I have the new BT Home Hub 4 (actually had the same problem with Home Hub 3) and the signal is not strong enough for the whole house so I bought a wireless repeater TP Link WA830RE. The result is that my android devices work with the BT Home Hub as the wireless network in parts of the house and then BT Wifi takes over in other parts of the house. I have used the WPS function on the Home Hub and Repeater to "lock" the two together. I am not entirely sure if the BT Wifi signal is mine or next door's as we are both on BT Internet and "allow" our hubs to act for BT Wifi. In either case I have to login to the BT Wifi signal in those parts of the house where the direct signal from the Hub is weak. My assumtion was the repeater would amplify the Hub and show up as the Hub not as BT Wifi (which is what I think is happening) on my devices. I have entered the SSID correctly as the BT Home Hub does show up on my devices, albeit weakly, and I can log in just to check.

Apologies for the length of the post and I realise it may not be in the right area and may qualify as a new post but my issue is with my Samasung Galaxy 3 (as well as my android tablet).

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.