Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: HH5 and Google Chromecast

I have tried all the above and can't get CC to work on my infinity router BT hub 3. All connected to my network but iPad can't see CC. The BT technical writer Hannah Bouckley has written and posted an article on how good a CC is, she should come and set mine up! Surely BT can sort this out with Google for what will prove to be a very popular product

I think I have solved this. I had exactly the same problem with HH4 (would mirror browser tabs but nothing else; would not work with Android apps) but solved it by turning off the Smart Setup option (which is insanely set to "on" by default) in the advanced settings of the HH router.

I think what was happening was that the Hub was registering the Chromecast as a new device and trying to feed it the usual three stage set-up procedure webpages, which the device didn't much like. Simply turning off the "Smart Setup" solved this problem straight away. If this doesn't work, try turning the Smart Setup off on the router and then performing a factory reset on the Chromecast, which you can do under the edit settings. In my case this wasn't necessary.

Smart Setup is not really very smart. I'd always leave it off if you can.

Beginner

Some more data on HH3:

Up until now, my HH3 worked very well with my chromecast, but that stopped yesterday. There was a recent firmware update of my HH3 on 28/11/13 (day before yesterday), updating to version Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.33 (Type A).

I strongly suspect that this firmware update broke one of the router features the chromecast relies on. I didn't find any workarounds so far. I tried the downgrade-to-WEP, but it didn't help. I also tried disabling "Extended UPnP Security", but it didn't help either. Any working workarounds on that firmware version would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is a channel through to BT engineering? The two support lines I called had never heard of a chromecast. I asked them to forward my query to engineering, but I doubt they will do it.

Distinguished Sage

This posts indicates that its in hand with the moderators.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/HH5-and-Google-Chromecast/m-p/1083612#M70805

I will ask for an update to see if it can be passed to any of the support teams.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting. This is still under investigation and as soon as we have an update we'll post it up.

Cheers

David

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)

Aspiring Contributor

Hi all

I found a solution by disabling UPnP on my HH4, if that helps. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Disabling-UPnP-on-HH4-to-get-my-Chromecast-working/td-p...

Esteemed member Keith_Beddoe felt that no adverse effects would result :-)

Beginner

I have the same issue (original post here https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Google-Chromecast-stopped-work-Parental-controls-to-bla...

I've tried:

Disabling Upnp extended security

Disabling Upnp

Disable Smart setup

I still get the "Can't access internet message" on the Chromecast though. I'm using an HH4

Help!

Richard

Distinguished Sage

hi,

many thanks for sharing this proposal. I had my HH5 installed yesterday and tried setting up my Chromecast. I followed these steps, splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks, disables smart setup and uPNP...my chromecast connects to the HH5 on 2.4GHz but still unable to cast. I am constantly getting an error message at Choremcast setup "no internet connection is available". 

So the Chromecast is able to connect to HH5 every time but I cannot cast because of some other technical issues. I called BT support this mornign and been advosed to pay £30 to get the answer which may or may not work!

Do you guys have any ideas, I have done the following which none of them worked so far:

1. split the 2.4 and 5GHz networks

2. disabled smart setup

3. disbled uPNP

4. removed parental control

at every changes I have factory reset my Chromecast and setup again....it must something fundamentally wrong with HH5 on DLNA/uPNP at some sort...please help, I am not goint to pay BT £30 to get my toys working!

Steve

I'm having a mixed experience with Chromecast on the HH5. Fortunately I tried to use the Viki app for watching US and Asian TV which forced smart setup into revealing itself. I'm guessing Viki is served through port 80 (or at least something that looks like a browser to HH5) because my TV screen was filled with the "Smart Setup" screen (for which there is no mouse or keyboard to control). I "fixed" this by disabling smart setup which is a shame because when my daughter's new phone connected, the HH5 gave me a timely prompt to straighten out parental controls... which I now suspect are global to the HH5 and not per device (which is what I had expected but that's another story I guess). As for now I still get "can't access internet" all too frequently but it does work sometimes...IMG_28232.jpg