Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

HOW TO RECOVER BT YAHOO! CLASSIC MAIL

The thread I started some weeks ago HOW TO REVERT TO BT YAHOO! CLASSIC MAIL was potentially confusing and was overtaken by events anyway. This fresh post hopefully clarifies and brings it up to date. 

If like me you fell for the recent invitation to upgrade to the "best BT Yahoo! Mail ever" (allegedly) there is no built-in facility to change your mind and revert. But it is possible to recover Classic through a workaround involving a temporary change in computer screen resolution. Alas the previous facility to toggle between Classic and its immediate successor All-New Mail has been removed. The link to All-New now just brings up another invitation to upgrade to "best ever", effectively making it impossible to recover All-New. 

Before proceeding you may wish to take a screenshot of your desktop or make a note of it, because changing the resolution often results in an icon shuffle. (You can do the job automatically by downloading IconRestorer.) Be aware also that pages are likely to cramped during the process so a bit of scrolling may be necessary to find a particular place.

1. While logged out of BT Yahoo! reduce the screen resolution to something like 800x600. The way to do this varies but it usually starts with a right-click on the desktop.

2. Log in to BT Yahoo! and select Mail. You will get a page announcing that your screen resolution is too low for the new-fangled Mail. At bottom right there are options, including one to revert permanently to a previous version (ie Classic). Choose it.

3. Close your browser, reset your native screen resolution and unshuffle icons as necessary.

4. Job done!

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Andy_N

Re: HOW TO RECOVER BT YAHOO! CLASSIC MAIL

Hi.

Alternatively, see my shortcuts (link below) option 23 for a different method

Beginner
llinoswynne

Thank you both for your help but I think I will leave things as they are.

Trying different things I am suggested to do by the prompting on here, has caused the problems I have now.

The so called improvements have actually made things worse.

I lost every bit of information, files, all my family photos going back some years and programs I had stored on my Hard Drive.

I had to start from scratch with everything.

Thanks BT Yahoo.  

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

I'm glad I never "upgraded" from the Classic web mail. I haven't been pestered to switch to the new mail, and I never saw any need to switch anyway.
Aspiring Expert
Bob1001

The ever helpful BT email online help told me to use the option on the right hand side to revert. When I told them there was no such option they said there was.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Bob1001 wrote:

The ever helpful BT email online help told me to use the option on the right hand side to revert. When I told them there was no such option they said there was.

The last time I looked at the latest version there was certainly no such option. I mentioned at the start of this thread that it used to be possible to toggle between Classic Mail and its immediate successor All-New Mail, but Yahoo! are not making it so easy this time. That's believed to be because the latest version allows them to use information for targeted advertising (see this thread: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Yahoo-snooping-on-personal-emails-BT-too/m-p/196175#M458...). 

Aspiring Contributor
skwirrel

I didn't choose to upgrade I don't like it and don't want it - how do I get the old classic mail back please?
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

skwirrel wrote:
I didn't choose to upgrade I don't like it and don't want it - how do I get the old classic mail back please?

See messages 1 and 2 above.