Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

HOW TO REVERT TO BT YAHOO! CLASSIC MAIL

This solution can be found buried in various threads elsewhere in the forums, and thanks are due to the posters. But so many people have issues with the All-New Mail that I thought it might be helpful to draw attention to it under a specific title. Maybe the forum managers will decide it deserves to be a sticky?

If you still have the Classic version you will be able to toggle to and from All-New. But if, like me, you fell for the recent BT Yahoo! email inviting you to upgrade, that facility is not included. The solution is a workaround involving a temporary change in computer screen resolution. Before doing this you may wish to take a screenshot of your desktop or make a note of it, because changing resolution can result in a shuffle. You could instead do the job automatically by downloading IconRestorer. Be aware also that pages are likely to cramped so that a bit of scrolling is necessary to find a particular place.

1. While logged out of BT Yahoo! reduce the screen resolution to something like 800x600. The way to do this varies but it usually starts with a right-click on the desktop.

2. Log in to BT Yahoo! and select Mail. You will get a page announcing that your screen resolution is too low for the All-New Mail. At bottom right there are options including one to revert permanently to a previous version (ie Classic). Choose it.

3. Close your browser, reset your native screen resolution and unshuffle icons as necessary.

4. Job done! You will also now have the facility to toggle, and may wonder why it was not provided at the outset.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Contributor
BrianB

Re: HOW TO REVERT TO BT YAHOO! CLASSIC MAIL

Thanks for this. Resolved an issue of not seeing senders name which I had posted just prior to finding your post.

BrianB
Beginner
DougD

Sorry, That has not worked. I am using a MacBook with Leopard OS.

The new look email, which I foolishly clicked is dreadful. Before, it was possible to simply view a picture attached to an email, now I have to download it to the Download folder before I can view it. Before the header bar told you there were 0 unread mails. I don't want to have to read the News before I can get to my inbox. There are so many things wrong.

The previous system, "Yahoo- All New Mail" worked well and simply. I would like to revert to that - anyone know how to uninstall this nightmare?

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

As the original poster, just to say that I have zero Mac experience. But I'm sure you'll find a number of others willing to help. 

Guru
Andy_N

DougD wrote:

Sorry, That has not worked. I am using a MacBook with Leopard OS.

The new look email, which I foolishly clicked is dreadful. Before, it was possible to simply view a picture attached to an email, now I have to download it to the Download folder before I can view it. Before the header bar told you there were 0 unread mails. I don't want to have to read the News before I can get to my inbox. There are so many things wrong.

The previous system, "Yahoo- All New Mail" worked well and simply. I would like to revert to that - anyone know how to uninstall this nightmare?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

You can have it go to your Inbox on start up - via Options/Mail Options/General. There's a tick box near the top Inbox - show in startup. You need to close this options tab down in order to save the changes. Hovering over the Options word on the tab will reveal a little cross which can be clicked.

See if the following (similar to the PC resolution reduction) works :-

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showpost.php?p=1003560&postcount=2

Sorry - not sure about the picture display.

Beginner
DougD

Lowering the resolution does not work on a Mac.

The main issue I have is viewing pictures attached to an email.

I used to be able to just view them or if there were more than one, view a slide show.

This facility does not work. Not on old emails with picture attachments or new ones received since

switching. Instead I have to download to hard drive and view them with another programme.

Also, I have just received a message 19 hours after it was sent to me.

BT have not responded to my requests for help.

To the people who have offered suggestions...... Thank you.

Beginner
DougD

Somehow, by using a mixture of all your suggestions, I have the screen back that I wanted.

THANK YOU !

It wasn't "Classic" I'd lost after all that but "All New".   Which isn't new at all !

On the FAQ page for the newest BT Yahoo Mail there was a link to revert to Classic.

That programme led to All New, but that wasn't supported on the low resolution screen.

Logging out and coming back in at the correct resolution produced the old fashioned but efficient system.

Again, thank you all.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

DougD wrote:

It wasn't "Classic" I'd lost after all that but "All New".   Which isn't new at all !

It seems then that the All-New mail is a version between Classic and the brand new one which is causing so much hassle. I didn't realise that and would like to amend the terminology in my original post. But the options don't include one to edit it; I'd be grateful if anyone knows how I can do that.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you have got it sorted!

Contributor
wasleys

Possible solution for Mac users

I have deeply regretted moving to the New Mail because of slideshow issues and the loss of 'To' columns in folders (both raised in separate threads here) .

I have found this way of getting back to the previous Mail version I used (not Classic strictly speaking I believe but it solves my issues).

Using a browser not supported by New Mail I went to btyahoo.co.uk and logged in. The browser is rejected and there is an option to return to a previous version of Mail. Clicking that generates the old style mail page.

I copied the URL of that page and pasted it into my usual browser (Firefox) where it loaded the old style page. I bookmarked that page and it has worked so far even after signing out/in.

Two caveats:

1. The URL/bookmark must be used - clicking the Mail links on the BTYahoo Homepage loads the new style.

2. I suspect the URL might have a time limit so the exercise may need repeating at some point.

Beginner
DougD

Re: Possible solution for Mac users

Overnight BT have taken away my "All New Mail " account and are trying to shift me on to BT YAHOO MAIL.

I don't want it. It doesn't support photographs. The best I can get is "Classic" which does not support photos or slideshows either.  The helpline both online and in human form on the phone have no answer or rather they do, " Why don't you open a GMail account and forward your BT mail to that". There are problems admitted the advisor. BT why have you introduced an inferior system ? Apart from the photo problems, I am in England I go on holiday, not vacation. Why use an American programme in the UK ?