scbickle
Accepted Solution

HTTP Port forwarding was working but has stopped working (Home Hub 5)

I'm a new BT Infinity customer with Home Hub5. I set up http forwarding to my web server. This worked OK on Friday evening and Saturday but no longer works on Sunday.

When attempting to connect from the Internet (using the IP shown in the My IP search from Google). The event log
shows the attempt to connect but no traffic reaches the web server.

10:26:52, 27 Oct. IN: ACCEPT [57] Connection closed (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.3:80 <--
>86.141.249.2:80 [82.132.215.136:22865] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)
10:26:43, 27 Oct. IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.3:80 <--
>86.141.249.2:80 [82.132.215.136:22865] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)

These are the things I have tried.

- on Hub5 remove the port forwarding configuration re-apply the port forwarding configuration

- Set up a http server on another device - change the port forwarding to point to that device

- restart the Hub5 device from the web interface

- Power cycle the web server

- Register for no IP Address sharing on BT Website, then restart the Hub5 device

- Power cycle the Hub5 device

Each time the Hub5 was restarted or a config change made I ensured that the newly allocated IP was the one used. Each time the event log shows as the above example. All to no avail I still cannot connect to the web server from an external address.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: HTTP Port forwarding was working but has stopped working (Home Hub 5)

[ Edited ]

Please take a look at this page, especially the bit about CG-NAT.

Port forwarding problems

If you have opted out, then it may take a few days to be implemented.

Have you checked your DDNS service, to make sure your public IP is being updated by the home hub?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

scbickle

Iv'e checked and my Public IP address matches the one reported by the Hub 5.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you just visited my website, then your IP address is 86.141.250.122. I ran PortQuery on port 80, and it shows as filtered, which usually means that something is blocking the incoming connection.

I am not familiar with the HH5, but have you tried a factory reset, and then re-entering the settings?

If the webserver is running on a PC, is there anything there stopping it?

Can you access it locally?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

scbickle

Yes that was my IP.

It appear to be the HH5 that's blocking the connection, as I can see any hits in the event log.

12:06:50, 27 Oct. IN: ACCEPT [57] Connection closed (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.3:80 <-​-​>86.141.250.122:80 [81.157.200.128:53194] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)
12:04:50, 27 Oct. IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.3:80 <-​-​>86.141.250.122:80 [81.157.200.128:53194] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)

This log was your attempted connection. It looks like HH5 recognises that it should be forwarded but immediately drops the connection.

I was a little reluctant to do a factory reset, is that safe or will it forget all the BT connection set up details?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The setup details are hard coded into the firmware, you should not have needed to enter anything in when you first started using it.

A factory reset simply restores it to those settings.

As a matter of interest, have you given the PC running your webserver a static IP address, as I notice its showing as

All the other home hubs start allocating DHCP from 192.168.1.64, but this may have changed with the HH5.

A static IP address is a good idea, as many of the home hubs do not relaibly port forward to device names, or DHCP allocated addresses.

scbickle

You are correct that is a static IP Address. I had this set-up working before with Orange Livebox. I moved from Orange since after changing to EE the bandwidth to TV web sites dropped off and BT recently installed the Fibre box just up the road.

DHCP still starts from 64. I'd be surprised if there's much difference in the UI of the software since 4.

I'll try a factory reset then, and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
scbickle

Still exactly the same after a factory reset.:smileyfrustrated:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Have you looked at my suggested settings for an IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.50?

I do know there were issues with the lower IP addresses on the other home hubs.

When you setup port forwarding, are you mapping the web application to the IP address of the PC, and not its device name?

I cannot see that anything would have change overnight, unless there was a firmware update that broke port forwarding.

Are you sure there is nothing on the PC firewall which is having an effect?

I am only using a HH1 at my end, on ADSL2+, so I am not really sure what is going on at your end.

Are you using the HH5 as a single modem/router, or do you still have an Opereach modem as well?

scbickle

Problem Solved.

The static IP of the HTTP server host's configuration had a default gateway set at 192.168.1.1

The Home Hub 5 offers its default gateway on 192.168.1.254 (most untypical).

What's strange is that the HTTP server ever worked with the Home Hub, but it did for the first day, very strange.

Anyhow, thanks for the help Keith.

:smileyhappy: