Davetheclay

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

This is not a fault. Most routers will not send out and receive data on the same interface (Loopback), as this is a security risk. So in fact there is nothing to fix. This is why port forwarding seems not to work when you test it from inside your network. To test port forwarding you have to do it from outside of your network. Port forwarding does work on the BT HH3, but you cannot loopback. If you need to connect internally to a system you are hosting you need to put an entry into the host file or DNS that points to you internal IP address, so it connect directly.

E.G www.hostname.co.uk  192.168.1.51

You internal device can then connect via the internal route and any external devices will connect via the port forwarding setup on your HH3, via the internet

Hope this helps and if anyone needs further clarity post her. I will endeavour answer your questions

Contributor
Meteosat

So my SKY router, my Plusnet router, my Thompson router, my Netgear router - which all gave loopback, were in some kind of parallel universe? ;-))

Davetheclay

Sorry I should have made my self clear, I was talking routers in general, not just broadband routers. As a network engineer I work with Cisco and Brocade routers daily and these will not allow loopback due to the inherent security issues. BT have adopted an approach that security is very important and as with enterprise class routers, loopback is not permitted.

The main point is that I tried to get across is that, port forwarding does work, which is why this thread was started, it is loopback that is disabled and there is a workaround solution.

MrP
Aspiring Expert
MrP

Davetheclay wrote:

...As a network engineer I work with Cisco and Brocade routers daily and these will not allow loopback due to the inherent security issues. BT have adopted an approach that security is very important and as with enterprise class routers, loopback is not permitted.

What are the security issues with NAT loopback?

stephenmahood

Hey,

Just had bt infinity option 2 installed. Great speeds with 69Mbps down and 15Mbps up.

Only problem is the port forwarding.

Im trying to set up the port forwarding so that the majority of my static ip's such as printers and server can been seen over the internet.

These devices are currently set in the range 192.168.2.1 -> 192.168.2.8

I previously had these set up so that ports 1 to 8 would forward to each of these ips on port 80, as they all have web interfaces.

Since installing the HomeHub 3. I have been unable to get any of this forwarding working. 

Could someone please advise on how this should be set up?

I have the type B home hub with F/W version V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B.

Thanks

Stephen

Beginner
Albut

It aint going to happen no matter what ports you forward with a BT Hub unless you're connected on the same LAN then forward port 7/9. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WOL/WAN FROM THE INTERNET - OFFICIAL. I have taken this up with BT and here is the response.

"Thank you for you e-mail. your. i have read you notes on the system in regards to your fault.

The home hub does not have the ability nor the capability of the function of what you are trying to do which is to turn on you server remotely from you home hub i have discussed this with sevral members of our IT department you may be able to use this function on a 3rd party router ie netgear belkin dlink ect, but the home hub series does not support this

Many thanks
Paul Robinson

Therfore, if you want to WOL from the internet DO NOT BUY A BT HOME HUB.

Regards

Albut

lokister

Not sure if this may help anyone but here goes:

I had issues getting my Buffalo NAS working with HomeHub3 and port forwarding. I tried many of the tricks suggested to no avail. So I sent BT a complaint. I even tried verifying the 6881 port was open via a web service yougetsignal.com and it looked closed.

Then while tinkering later, I went into my NAS settings. I noticed that the gateway IP address had not been updated and when BT installed my device their default suggestion 192.168.0.254 was different to my previous default 192.168.0.1.

After updating the NAS gateway IP to match the new gateway IP it all sprang into life.

Some users may just be overlooking that adjustment that they need to make on the NAS settings.

Beginner
John_SH

[ Edited ]

I thought maybe this time they had something that worked.......Unfortunately BT HH3 is a another piece of junk that will be going in the bin along with my HH1 and HH1.5. Appart from the pretty user interface nothing about it is right.

Starting with the single gigabit ethernet port (what use is only 1 gigabit port?) at the very least if you wanted a home network using gigabit speeds you would require an additional gigabit switch to go along with this retarded hub.

The first time I opened the box it came with all these stickers with the admin password and written all over the HH3.

So I plug the router in, I go to 192.168.1.254 and the first thing it does is it forces me to change the password before I can edit any of the HH3 settings. Ok so now all the stickers are usless... in the bin they go (not that I would actually keep the default password but thats not the point).

Ending with the fact that port fowarding does not work (a basic feature of any router).  They are also selling this at £99.00, thats more expensive than a Linksys E3200 router which not only works but has better wifi and 4x gigabit ethernet ports.  

Im sorry but whoever said this link (http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_portforwarding.html) will solve all your port fowarding issues clearly doesnt have the same HH3 as 1/2 the people on this forum or has just got lucky.

I undestand the concept of port fowarding, MAC addresses, and assining ports to computers, I dont need a step by step guide. Ive already done that, the HH3 says its forwarding the port to my desktop computer but its not ( I have no firewall on my desktop machine, I work as an IT Technician so I know what im doing).

In 10 years BT have learnt nothing and still dont give a danm about their customers. They continue to supply hardware that is not fit for purpose and deny that anything is wrong (despite this 35 page long thread). Customer support keep pointing me to the port forwarding tutorials because they dont have a clue what they are talking about, passing me on from one person to the next and simply lying to me over the phone.

Beginner
John_SH

[ Edited ]

Update: After 3 hours of calls and remote desktop sessions with people that knew about as much on computers as my grandmother I got them to admit port fowarding was broken on the Home Hub 3 Type A. 

The tech support said they would send out a Home Hub 2.0 as it worked much better the guy even said it was their best ever router way better than the HH3 (he was really trying to sell the idea to me as he had no fix for my HH3-A). Even though my own research showed there was no connection for infinity on the HH2 the guy was convinced (even put my on hold to check with his supervisor) they had a special edition model of the HH2 that did work. I figured id let him try and just see what would be delivered to my door as I was quite bored at this point.

I later got a call saying the HH2 is discontinued so they cannot send me one out but they would instead send the HH3 Type B.  So far the HH3 Type B is working, if any of you have Type A I suggest sending it back it seems like they are trying to fob off their older broken routers to people that dont know any better. I fully expect the Type-B to stop working in the near future, its only been up for 30 minutes. The last 4 routers they produced (1 , 1.5 , 2 , 3a ) were all overpriced and all had problems, I dont see how this is going to be any different... At some point il buy myself a Linksys E3200 but for now il try to keep an open mind with the Type-B.

robdoughtjosh

My ports will not forward..

Hey everyone,

I recently got BT infinity 76mb/s package. The speeds both up and down are amazing.. But the problem is my ports have suddenly decided to not show as open to people outside my network. The first week the port I opened 25565 worked and people could access my server etc. However one night I booted the PC back up and the port refuses to be forwarded - although it says in the router settings it is forwarded and assigned.. I can't access the router through my external IP. I have tried many different things and I have never had this problem before. 

Could bt have blocked me from opening ports? Or is there another explanation I'm overlooking here?

*Additional details

-I've tried it with the firewall turned off

-I've tried both the bt home hub 3 (type A), which worked for a week then stopped and hasn't worked since

-Im using Mac OS X mountain lion

Hopefully someone could shed some light on this situation,

thanks in advance