Contributor
Gizmo99

Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

[ Edited ]

Hello World

Ok recived the New Home Hub 3 today, ahead of my Infinity install.

I thought ok lets replace Trusty Home Hub 2 with the 3 as it works both on Std ADSL and Infinity :smileyhappy:

Super Quick UI and love the GIG port :smileyhappy: BUT and its a BIGGY (well for ME) !

THe hub is running 4.7.5.1.83.8.48 (TypeA) lastest and greatest, Upnp does work so Xbox works no prob and it can be seen in the FW Log being setup :smileyhappy:

BUT if you configure port forwarding by hand ie HTTP to 192.168.0.2 DOESNT WORK !!!

I tried using a connected device to forward to and just the IP address BOTH FAIL !

roll back in trusty Hub2 and all work again !

Phoned in and was told after a few minutes on hold (No Problem) to roll back to Home Hub 2 and there should be a Firmware upgrade for the 3 soon to fix this issue.

So now you know if you try it and it doesnt work

Giz

Beginner
slava125

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

Similar situation here.

I received HomeHub 3 this week. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the new router. The local networking feels quicker due to the gigabit port (connected to gigabit switch). And the wifi reception is better probably due to the intelligent channel selection.

Similarly, I tried to replicate settings from my old HomeHub 2. I wasn't able to setup port forwarding.

The problem is the router in inaccessible using the external IP address.

I contacted BT Broadband Help desk. I spoke to 2 operators. First told me he would investigate and call me back. Never did. :smileysad: Second told me they were untrained to deal with this sort of queries and suggested speaking to the BT Subscription help line.

So, now I know thanks to you. Waiting anxiously for the patch. Hope it will be out soon.

Slava

Contributor
Roger65

Hi Gizmo.

The latest firmware for Home Hub 3 is now  4.7.5.1.83.8.57

Contributor
Gizmo99

Beginner
slava125

Mine is 4.7.5.1.83.8.57 but no fix there.

MrP
Aspiring Expert
MrP

[ Edited ]

"The problem is the router in inaccessible using the external IP address"

I believe this is because the HH3 does not support "loopback connections" - you cannot access the LAN via the external IP address when you are currently within your LAN - so it's difficult to test your port forwarding. This should work, however, when you are outside of your LAN.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/How-to-request-a-functionality-addition-to-the...

But this works OK with HH2?

Contributor
Gizmo99

Same mate

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57 (Type A) just updated

It easy to check port forwarding get the IP of the WAN port

Settings -> Advanced -> Broadband

Then just pop into a browser http://<WAnIP> and it should work as it does on HH2

But no dice on a 3 !

Giz

Aspiring Expert
syops

as an undeducated guess, are you all running port forwarding and upnp? anyone tried with upnp off?

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Contributor
Gizmo99

Problem with doing that is the xbox's and alike all use Upnp and it works fine :smileyhappy:

The HH3 uses Upnp to delete port forwarding rules, from the logs.

But will give it a go

Giz

Contributor
Gizmo99

[ Edited ]

Nope sorry mate

But thanks for the suggestion