Beginner
glenpalmer

Home Hub 3 and QNAP Problems

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone might be able to help me out here, i'm no techie so i've probably done something wrong.

I have recently moved over to BT Broadband and have a home hub version 3, previously i was on my own router and never had any issues with my QNAP NAS box.

The QNAP has a static IP address locally defined as 192.168.1.150 and i used to be able to connect fine on my old router, i've not changed any settings on the QNAP and now i can no longer see the web interface via the home hub 3.

If i ping the IP address 192.168.1.150 from any other machine on my network i get a reply from the QNAP, the device is listed when i look at the web interface on the home hub also, so the QNAP is there but i can't access port 8080 which is the web interface.

I've tried to stop the firewall temporarily to see if this makes a difference but the page will still not display.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glen

Contributor
PeterT

Re: Home Hub 3 and QNAP Problems

I assume that you are trying to connect to the QNAP server when you are locally connected to your router.

I also assume that you browse to the server using http://192.168.1.150:8080

What is the response in your browser?

User Name: Peter T
BT equipment: PSTN Telephone
Devices: N900, 2 x linux netbooks, 2 x linux servers, FRITZ!Box, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Aspiring Contributor
kevsimo

I use a qnap and had some problems recently, my issue was that the home hub and the router duplicate what you can set.

I made sure that the static IP is set on the home hub menu and not the qnap admin menu.

The other things Ive done is to set the port forwarding for the various services, but I am no expert on that.

Beginner
glenpalmer

Thanks for the response guys, sorry for the delay in an update but i've been working away from home and only got back this evening.

I try the internal IP address and the web server port 192.168.1.150:8080 but the browser just returns the page can not be displayed, this is only internal on my Home Hub 3 and not external access.

I'll give the setting the static IP address a go on the Home Hub (need to find out how to do this) and see how things go, i've not set up port forwarding as nothing is really going out to the net from the QNAP at the moment, i'm just using it to file share audio and video around the house.

I'll update in the morning.

Thanks

Gp

Beginner
glenpalmer

Still no joy on the home hub with the QNAP, i don't understand this at all.

I can ping the IP address and it replies, i view the devices connected to the Home Hub and the QNAP NAS is listed.

Beginner
glenpalmer

kevsimo wrote:

I use a qnap and had some problems recently, my issue was that the home hub and the router duplicate what you can set.

I made sure that the static IP is set on the home hub menu and not the qnap admin menu.

The other things Ive done is to set the port forwarding for the various services, but I am no expert on that.

Hi Kevsimo, does this mean that you left the QNAP with a DHCP to obtain an address from the Home Hub?

Expert
geaves

glenpalmer wrote:

Still no joy on the home hub with the QNAP, i don't understand this at all.

I can ping the IP address and it replies, i view the devices connected to the Home Hub and the QNAP NAS is listed.

One thing you could try is to put a switch between the Qnap and the HH, and as the hub lists the Qnap it should see it as a static ip address.

As a NAS box usually runs SMB (Linux) so that windows machines can see the shares, I take it that not even the shares you have set up previously can not now be seen on any of your computers.

Aspiring Contributor
kevsimo

I set a static ip address on my home hub and set dhcp to no on the qnap admin.

As I say I'm no expert on this aspect but I asked around and this is working for me. 

Beginner
glenpalmer

Thanks for the help guys, i've tried all combinations of configuration with no joy.  I'm no expert with these things and i exhausted all my knowledge and skills :smileyhappy:

So i backed up my drives and done the Reset to Factory on the QNAP, not ideal but it appears to have worked.  The QNAP rebooted with DHCP, i logged in and set my static IP address and DNS and off i went, just restoring the data now.

I have no explanation for this, the strange thing was that when i used the QNAP finder the IP address keep changing, at one point i came back with 192.168.100.100 whilst set to DHCP.

I'm sure someone with more experience would have been able to get this working and my solution was a last resort.

Thanks again for the help guys

Glen