cupidstock
Accepted Solution

Home Hub 3 wireless repeater compatibility

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I need to know if I can use a third party wireless repeater with the Home Hub 3

There seem to be a lot of conflicting posts out there (both on this forum and others) relating to the compatibility between the BT Home Hub 3 and third party wireless repeaters.

I need to extend the range of my wireless signal. Wiring the repeater to the hub is not an option - it's not my house and my room is outside the original walls. I can get decent signal on the landing outside my room, so my thinking is that if I place a repeater near this location (probably slightly nearer the hub to get the best signal?) I will be able to connect.

As it is I can connect sporadically on very low signal when other people are not using so many wireless devices. However this is (I hope) beside the point.

I'm looking at buying an Edimax EW-7228APn. Since this can use "Universal Repeater Mode", am I safe to buy this? Will it work?

I think it would be useful to have a guide/sticky on this topic, since it seems to affect a lot of people.

Thanks in advance!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Home Hub 3 wireless repeater compatibility

[ Edited ]

cupidstock wrote:

Hi!

I need to know if I can use a third party wireless repeater with the Home Hub 3

There seem to be a lot of conflicting posts out there (both on this forum and others) relating to the compatibility between the BT Home Hub 3 and third party wireless repeaters.

I need to extend the range of my wireless signal. Wiring the repeater to the hub is not an option - it's not my house and my room is outside the original walls. I can get decent signal on the landing outside my room, so my thinking is that if I place a repeater near this location (probably slightly nearer the hub to get the best signal?) I will be able to connect.

As it is I can connect sporadically on very low signal when other people are not using so many wireless devices. However this is (I hope) beside the point.

I'm looking at buying an Edimax EW-7228APn. Since this can use "Universal Repeater Mode", am I safe to buy this? Will it work?

I think it would be useful to have a guide/sticky on this topic, since it seems to affect a lot of people.

Thanks in advance!

There is a reference page here Wireless boosting

A sticky cannot easily be updated and edited. I try to keep this page up to date.

I cannot comment on the Edimax as I do not have one here.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

cupidstock

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply and your guide. In the end I bought the TP-Link TL-WA901ND as I thought it might be more useful for other duties in the future. You may be pleased to know that your guide and BIN file works fine with this product too. 

:smileyhappy:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

cupidstock wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply and your guide. In the end I bought the TP-Link TL-WA901ND as I thought it might be more useful for other duties in the future. You may be pleased to know that your guide and BIN file works fine with this product too. 

:smileyhappy:

That is interesting :smileyhappy:

I guess there is not much difference between them, apart from a better dual radio module in the WA901ND.

I will make a note of that for the future, thanks for the feedback, it may help another member.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

waynedd

Hi 

I have just ordered one of these and aim to follow your instructions. I have one question. Can I hard wire out of the home hub to the TP link and have both of them sending out wi fi on the same ssid ?  or is it better if they are overlapping like this to use the TP link as a repeater only ?

Thanks 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

waynedd wrote:

Hi 

I have just ordered one of these and aim to follow your instructions. I have one question. Can I hard wire out of the home hub to the TP link and have both of them sending out wi fi on the same ssid ?  or is it better if they are overlapping like this to use the TP link as a repeater only ?

Thanks 

You can hard wire it if you prefer, but try to keep it away from the home hub. This only applies if you are using it as an access point.

If you are using it as a repeater, then a hard wired connection must not be used.

The repeater needs to be physically located in an area of low to medium signal strength, half way between the home hub, and the area that you are trying to boost the signal to.

Check the signal level first with a laptop, before turning the repeater on, otherwise you will mislead yourself.

Its best to use a different SSID and channel if you are using it as an access point.

If you are using it as a repeater, then you have no choice, the wireless channel, SSID and encryption has to be the same.

Its best to set the home hub to WPA only, to avoid problems with the repeater.

This is not a problem, because the repeater transmits in between the data from the hub WiFi.

Throughput is usually reduced by half, when using a repeater.

Beginner
Theendisnye

I have purchased a TL-WA701ND which I wanted to use as a repeater in the interim. However the setup guide Keith referenced now appears to be missing. So I have had a try. I have changed the static Default IP address and chanegd the mode to repeater and added te ssid detail. I can see the device when it is hard wired to my homehub 3 but when I detatch the LAN connection I can not see it in the wireless section. the wifi light is on, the system light flashes slowly and I have positioned it midway between my router and the poor reception zone. It doesn't seem to work so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or had too high an expectation. Steve
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The guide is not missing, I have just checked. Its here

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/wa701nd.html

Beginner
pmatos

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The guide is not missing, I have just checked. Its here

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/wa701nd.html

Thanks for the guide, I used a WA901ND repeater and it seemed initially to work but now three things happen (this might be normal but I never used repeaters so I don't know if it's ok): * I cannot access 192.168.1.15 from my PC connected to the bthomehub to configure the repeater; * I see two networks (is this normal) with the same name on my mobile phone at the edge of my bthomehub3 net, one with faint signal and other with excellent signal (the one from the repeater I guess); * The network advertised by the repeater has no protection; * I cannot connect to it even though I explicitly ask my mobile to connect; Any suggestions/answers to any of the above issues would be great. Thanks for the help, Paulo Matos
PMatos
Beginner
mack848

Steve (Theendisnye)

Did you get your 701ND to work as a repeater with your HH3?  If so, is yours a 701ND v1 or v2?  I have a v2 (curvy, rather than boxy looking) and I cannot get it working.

Thanks

Mack