Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Home Hub 5 and reserving IP addresses

I have a home network with a laptop, NAS drive, a couple of Sonos connect amps and a couple of smart TVs connected - all wired - and 2x iPads and 2xiPhones - wireless.

On setting up my Home Hub 5 I followed the recommendation of the Sonos help team and reserved the IP addresses on the Hub for the Sonos connect amps and the devices used as controllers (iPads and iPhones).

This I did to the IP addresses assigned to them when the hub was first booted up.

Is this correct or should I manually assign other addresses to them?

And if I need to to this to these components, why would I not reserve IP addresses for the other components (Laptop, NAS drive etc)? What would be the issue if everything had a reserved IP address and therefore there would never be any IP conflicts?

Any help appreciated.

Distinguished Sage

Re: Home Hub 5 and reserving IP addresses

You can use static IP addresses and forget about relying on the home hub reserving one, as it sometimes forgets.

This link will give you some ideas

Using static IP addresses on your home network

Roaming devices will need to be left on automatic, as they may be used on other networks with different subnets.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

[ Edited ]
Can you do IP reservations on the smart hub 5 if you are NOT a business account? Ie normal domestic account?
I ask as I've tried the link above and cannot access it as my bt account is not live yet. If I cant it means purchasing a new router/modem
Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

Deeperdown wrote:
Can you do IP reservations on the smart hub 5 if you are NOT a business account? Ie normal domestic account?
I ask as I've tried the link above and cannot access it as my bt account is not live yet. If I cant it means purchasing a new router/modem

You cannot specify which IP addresses that will be allocated, however, once its allocated by DHCP, then you can ask it to always use that same address.

Its not the same as being able to reserve an IP address in advance.

If you use addresses outside of the DHCP range, then you have to set the IP address on the device itself.

PS. This is quite an old thread which I was not monitoring, but just happened to notice it in my RSS feed.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

That's great, many thanks