Beginner
rjdown

Home Hub 5 wireless issues

Hi, I'm a new customer and have received a HomeHub 5 integrated modem/router. The HH is set up near my front door, quite a distance from where my 2 PCs are located. I have two Linksys WRT54GL routers acting as wireless switches. I've used these for years without issue with several providers and wireless modems, but this time I'm having nothing but problems.

By default, the HH5 uses WPA2. I've found that I'm unable to connect to my work VPN unless I change the encryption to WPA(1) or disable it completely. I don't understand why this would be, but I've tested several times and it seems to be the case. Go back to WPA2 and I can't connect again. Wired works fine. I've tried enabling port clamping, disabling the "BT Web Address Help" service and the HH's firewall. Any ideas?

I've also found that the Linksys routers constantly lose connection with the HH. The signal strength is fine. I found that disabling wireless security completely fixes this issue but that's clearly not a long-term solution. It might be if there was a way to limit access by MAC address but I can't find that option in the admin panel? I've also considered just putting the HH into modem-only mode and hard-wiring one of the Linksys routers to it for DHCP, but I can't see an option for that either! HALP :smileytongue:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Home Hub 5 wireless issues

[ Edited ]

You are a bit stuck if you have the HH5, as its an integrated unit, so I doubt very much you can separate the modem and router functions.

Its a pity that BT have gone down this route, as it limits the number of options available.

All I can suggest is that you leave the wireless on WPA only, and if security is your concern, then either use a hard wired Ethernet cable, or broadband extenders as described on the BT Shop.

http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-connectivity-devices-12466.htm...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
rjdown

Thanks for the reply. I don't accept that buying more equipment should be the solution here. The wireless encryption is not working as it should. I have to disable it completely if I want to stop getting regularly disconnected! Running wires all over the house is definately not an option :smileysad: Is there really nothing like a simple MAC filter on this thing?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

As the home hub 5 is new, you will have to see if any other forum members, who have a HH5, can suggest anything else.

The usual  suggestions are to check that your wireless card drivers are up to date, using the manufacturers website, as suggested on my website.

Wireless connection problems

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
MBR123

[ Edited ]

If you want to be really brave and not so bothered about security, say you have no neighbours etc.. to get some more distance on your wireless signal setup go for BT Home Hub Security settings but click on None and this goes for all your extenders/repeaters settings etc.. in your house/office but be careful with this action cause I dont really recommend it, its not a great solution but works!. :smileyhappy:

Please click on pink star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. :smileyhappy: Thank you. Home Hub Page- http://bthomehub.home/
BT Speed test- http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Speedtest:-http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
Net Connect test- http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
Beginner
rjdown

Yea, as I said above I've tried disabling wireless security and it's actually the only way that stops the frequent disconnections. But that's no good for me without at least a MAC filter.

Contributor
Johnelf

I too had massive wireless issues the first few hours on day 1.

After a few reboots and a couple of hours, it stabalised.

Its been a few days now, but tonight I had a dropout, and the lights went amber.

Sorted itself out after about 15 mins. So time will tell, never had any dropouts with the HH4.

John

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids and treating them as separate networks.

You'll need to connect your devices to both SSids if they are able to use both frequencies.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Beginner
rjdown

I disabled 5ghz already :smileysad: Sorry should have said.

I manually changed channel as I spotted the channel the HH chose was being used by a neighbour. Not sure if it's had an effect yet, will have to wait and see tomorrow...

Thanks all for the help so far!

Rich330

I have had many issues with the wireless on the hh5! I have reverted back to the hh3 and white modem, which seem to work fine! Like you although I had a wireless signal showing there was no data being transferred it would stop every 10-15 minutes! If I switched off the wireless on the device and reconnected it work for about 10 mins again!

Have you managed to find a fix??