Contributor
everybodylovesjoe
Accepted Solution

Home hub 3 as a print server.

Hi everyone,

My HH2 has recently stopped working and I'm in the process of arranging for it to be replaced. I know the official line from BT is that none of their hubs can be used as print servers, however I've had an Epson plugged into the USB socket of the HH2 for a good few years and all my computers can access it. I notice that the HH3 (which should arrive tomorrow as a replacement) also has a USB port, so was wondering if anyone had successfully hocked it up and used it to share printers?

Thanks for the advice!

Contributor
Gizmo99

Re: Home hub 3 as a print server.

In a word no

Cone up as a unsupported device, the says only USB drives can use the USB port

Worked peachy on hh2
Contributor
Gizmo99

The manual says only USB pens etc
Aspiring Expert
syops

Gizmo99 wrote:
The manual says only USB pens etc

You have a manual for HH3? Was it on the BT CD? can't say I've used that coaster yet :smileywink:

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Contributor
everybodylovesjoe

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice! Shame they got rid of this feature, as it was pretty useful (not that BT ever actually advertised it's existence anyway). I've been planning to get a laser printer for a while now, so I might look for one that supports networking.
Aspiring Expert
cliffg

The HH3 works OK with a USB stick plugged in but it cannot see this unless it is formatted as FAT32.

You can enable printer sharing, but you will need the PC with the printer attached to be on to use this.

The best option is a wireless printer (when the times comes around for you to replace).

badgolfer

'You can enable printer sharing...'.

Is there any chance you could explain how to do this using the HH 3.0 or point me in the direction of an idiots guide on line?  

Thanks

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

everybodylovesjoe wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice! Shame they got rid of this feature, as it was pretty useful (not that BT ever actually advertised it's existence anyway). I've been planning to get a laser printer for a while now, so I might look for one that supports networking.

You can simply buy a print server, its cheaper and easier, and works with all printers.

e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PS310U-Single-USB2-0-Storage/dp/B002LB8XFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

This simply connects between your Ethernet and your printers USB port.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

[ Edited ]

Hi

I'm using a belkin print server - I've got 2 USB inkjets plugged into it, worked under windows XP and still works under Wondows 7 64bit version. I found it best not to use the belkin software, but connect via the microsoft wizard - there was even a thread on the Belkin site suggesting this.

Michael. 

Beginner
awjenks

Hi

I have just received and set up my BT Home Hub 3 network OK, except for the TP-LINK PS110P Parallel Print Server, which the Hub fails to see.

The network was working fine as was the print server when I used my Netgear Router.

Any suggestions please