Contributor
miqs

How do I get a BT internet email address not a Yahoo one?

I have just joined the BT community and want a BT internet email address not a Yahoo one.  I have migrated from another ISP and have already a Yahoo email address and identity from using FlickR.  I now have to use my Yahoo address when entering the BT email page but I want to have a NEW BT email address.  How do I do that please as I want to eventually get rid of all the old addresses?  I am running a Mac and access most of my non Yahoo email through "Thunderbird".  Is it best I transfer to "Mail" (Mac) as I gather there are issues with "Thunderbird"?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: How do I get a BT internet email address not a Yahoo one?

When you migrated to BT you should have been given a BTinternet.com e-mail address to be used as your PRIMARY e-mail address. You would then use this to log into http://uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com/ . You will in effect be signing into BT Yahoo using your address@btinternet.com.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert
Dorset_Vinney

What BT Broadband Option are you on? In addition to your primary ***ATbtinternet.com address you may have between 5 and 10 subaccounts each of which has its own ***ATbtinternet.com address.

Then within those, you may have up to 250 disposable yahoo.co.uk AddressGuard addresses that can be configured for use with subscriptions/companies/forums etc. Each account has those in the format subaccountprefix-****ATyahoo.co.uk and you can decide on the **** bit.

If you login to the BTYahoo home page,

http://home.bt.yahoo.com/

and then go to My Account, you can add sub accounts. But to get there you will need to know your primary email address and password which should have been sent to you when you signed up for BT Broadband.

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

miqs wrote:

... Is it best I transfer to "Mail" (Mac) as I gather there are issues with "Thunderbird"?

Issues with Thunderbird?  What issues are you referring to?

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Aspiring Expert
OldGold

I have used Thunderbird for some time, on Vista and now Windows 7 and found it very stable.

Ray.

Contributor
miqs

Thanks for the advice however ....

I am on BT Total Broadband Option 1.  I have sent emails to and from my primary email address ok. But what I do not understand is where do I see the emails sent to my sub accounts I have set up?  I have sent a couple of tests to these ***@btinternet.com sub accounts but don't know where I find them.  I realise this might be obvious but a little more help please!  Also is it possible to create a one click access to see these emails all together, in other words to receive all my emails in one window, primary and sub, as I currently have in Thunderbird??  I hope you understand.

Contributor
miqs

Further to my last posting I have now discovered how to access all my email address including my sub accounts.  I didn't realise that you have to sign out of one to access the other.  It's a shame that I cannot see all of them at the same time but I guess that's to provide security and privacy.  As they are all mine I don't need this discipline so my next project is to create folders or likewise instead of sub accounts if its possible.  We shall see!

Aspiring Expert
Dorset_Vinney

miqs wrote:

Further to my last posting I have now discovered how to access all my email address including my sub accounts.  I didn't realise that you have to sign out of one to access the other.  It's a shame that I cannot see all of them at the same time but I guess that's to provide security and privacy.  As they are all mine I don't need this discipline so my next project is to create folders or likewise instead of sub accounts if its possible.  We shall see!

I think it IS possible to get access to your mail accounts from one webmail venue but I can't remember how! However - if you want to access your mail via an email client like Thunderbird or MSOutlook or other email clients, they can access all your accounts at the same time and they will download your mail from different accounts, and can even sort it based on which account it came from into different folders. That is downloading the mail from the website onto your computer. You can then choose whether to leave a copy on the webmail site or to delete them after they have been copied down to your computer.
- you just set the email client for pop3 (receiving)  and smtp (sending) access. There are instructions on how to set up various email clients, on the BTYahoo help pages. - use help while on the BTYahoo! mail page
Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
patty

I am really annoyed because I recently switched to BT internet as my servicef provider.  I did not sign up for Yahoo, I don't like Yahoo and I would never use it - I always use Google.  However whenever I have an email problem and try to sign in to BT Broadband Help online (I can't get it on my destop because it wont launch with my Windows 7 (32) etc I am prompted to register with Yahoo - I cannot get in unless I do this.  I never do it because I don't want to sign up for Yahoo plus their homepage and toolbar etc.  It is really annoying.  When I signed up with BT it said nothing about Yahoo but now I'm signed up with BT I can't access any help without registering with them using my BT internet address.  This is absolutly infuriating and something that BT need to sort out.

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

You don't have to register with yahoo. Just enter your BT email address and password to log in to yahoo.

Regarding toolbars. i NEVER install those **bleep** things and I always recommend to same to anyone else. Just look for the option to tick to NOT install toolbar

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.