Caro677

How do you turn off WiFi on HomeHub2?

I am trying to create an Apple WiFi network at home. I have 

A Timecapsule

A new Airport Express

A couple of Mac laptops

and a few other bits and pieces that could join the network like iPhone, printer etc

The thing is for this to all work as (Apple) intended the Timecapsule needs to be allowed to be the WiFi router with the Homehub simply serving as the modem and telephone connection. But I can't turn off the WiFi on the home Hub!  So what I have now is a set-up where the Timecapsule has had to be 'bridged' which has resulted in two WiFi signals - one coming directly from the HomeHub and one coming from the HomeHub via the Timecapsule.  Not exactly what was intended!

This set-up has also defeated one of the main objects of the exercise which was to set up a separate secure guest network on the Airport Express for our B&B guests. Apparently I can't do that while the 'gateway' is being provided by the BT bit of kit.  Some forums have suggested that if you unsubscribe from BT Fon and BT Openzone you regain the capacity to turn off the WiFi in the HomeHub settings. Is that true?  I don't want to muck things up completely and not being that technical I am quite cautious.  

Is the solution to do away with the HomeHub completely and replace it with a modem?  Any help very gratefully received.

Guru
jac_95

Re: How do you turn off WiFi on HomeHub2?

[ Edited ]

Hi Caro677,

You can disable the BTHomeHub's (eg BTHomeHub2-ABCD ) Wireless SSID by doing:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254/

2) Click Settings - You will need your Homehub's admin password (if you haven't changed it then it can be found on a sticker at the bottom of the homehub.)

3) Click Advanged Settings

4) Click Continue to Advanced Settings

5) Click Wireless

6) Click "NO" on Wireless Network Enabled

7) Save

hope that helps,

Cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Distinguished Guru
DS

Caro677 wrote:

I am trying to create an Apple WiFi network at home. I have 

A Timecapsule

A new Airport Express

A couple of Mac laptops

and a few other bits and pieces that could join the network like iPhone, printer etc

The thing is for this to all work as (Apple) intended the Timecapsule needs to be allowed to be the WiFi router with the Homehub simply serving as the modem and telephone connection. But I can't turn off the WiFi on the home Hub!  So what I have now is a set-up where the Timecapsule has had to be 'bridged' which has resulted in two WiFi signals - one coming directly from the HomeHub and one coming from the HomeHub via the Timecapsule.  Not exactly what was intended!

This set-up has also defeated one of the main objects of the exercise which was to set up a separate secure guest network on the Airport Express for our B&B guests. Apparently I can't do that while the 'gateway' is being provided by the BT bit of kit.  Some forums have suggested that if you unsubscribe from BT Fon and BT Openzone you regain the capacity to turn off the WiFi in the HomeHub settings. Is that true?  I don't want to muck things up completely and not being that technical I am quite cautious.  

Is the solution to do away with the HomeHub completely and replace it with a modem?  Any help very gratefully received.

Yes, if you want to be able to turn off BTFon/BTOpenzone now called BTWifi/BTWifi with Fon, then opt out via the website. Once (which can be never unless you call them) the BTF/BTO/BTW/BTWF are no longer transmitting from your hub, then you can then turn off your wireless on the hub.

Good solution and works well for many.

Hope this helps and you opt out of BTWifi, the instructions are as per the above post.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Caro677

Thanks.  I think that works for some people but when I get to Wireless Network Enabled there's no option to click "NO". It resolutely stays as "YES" which I think may be a result of my being opted in to BT Fon/ Openzone.  I've spoken to the BT Helpline today but they were unable to help. They said it was too technical for them and offered me a subscription to BT Tech Experts Team.

Caro677

Thanks DS. Now that I know that BT WiFi is the new name (and I'm not therefore opting out of something crucial!) I'll try that route.  Will I have have to reset the HomeHub after i've opted out in order for the changes to take effect?

Distinguished Guru
DS

Caro677 wrote:

Thanks DS. Now that I know that BT WiFi is the new name (and I'm not therefore opting out of something crucial!) I'll try that route.  Will I have have to reset the HomeHub after i've opted out in order for the changes to take effect?

Here's how to opt out - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/c/346,1238,2694

No don't reset the hub as this can actually automatically opt you back in!:smileysurprised:

BT should send the opt out signal within a few days, but can take much longer.

If after a few days and it's still transmitting, then call them on 0800 022 33 22 (choose the 'BT Wi-fi' option). They should be able to speed up the process.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Caro677

OK have opted out online.  Fingers crossed...