Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

Hub Manager Software

I have had to restore my PC back to factory settings (BT netprotect plus issue) so now have no hub manager software on my PC (it used to be in the start menu).  I know that I can look at my hub manager in my browser but I want the hub manager on my PC because in the past I had a problem with my Internet connection and I could look in the event log and see what's going on( you cant access the homehub in a browser with no Internet connection)

I still have the disk but I don't want to reinstall or reset my hub as 1 my vision and everything else is connected and running fine. 2 I have an ongoing issue with mcafee (why I had to go back to factory settings in the first place) and don't want to complicate matters.

So my questions are can I download the hub manager software online?,  if so can I do that without resetting my hub?.

If I have to use the disk can I do that without resetting the hub or will the disk reset everything or break everything as soon as I put the disk in?

Thanks,

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Hub Manager Software

[ Edited ]

You can access the hub manager without an Internet connection.

Simply type http://192.168.1.254 in the address bar of your web browser, all the menus can be viewed from there, including the event log.

There is no need to install any of the BT software that is on the CD.

If you want anti-virus protection, then try the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

[ Edited ]

Sorry about that (did nt read the post properly) so that will work when the Internet is down ? I'm so glad that I don't have to reset.

Thanks V much

Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

Hi I just tried that (I unplugged the Internet cable) I just got the "internet explorer cannot display etc") page am I doing something wrong?

Expert
Malacath

Don't disconnect the internet cable

Just type what he said in the address bar to go to the hub settings.

You can also type bthomehub.home/ in the address bar to get there as well.

Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

[ Edited ]

If I don't unplug the Internet cable how else can I test if it will work when the Internet is down?

Reason for edit;  Background info - when I originally posted I wanted to know this because in the past there was wind a problem with the outside wires - which caused my Internet to go down. Because I had the hub manager on my PC I could physically see it connecting and disconnecting (when the wind moved the wire) when if I had been connected through the Internet it would not of stayed on  (I could also prove to the techs what speeds I was getting before the incident)

The other day I had an issue with the Internet disconnecting (it was a power save  PC problem the hub still had blue lights -fixed now), but when the Internet was down I could not get into my home hub manager (I had saved a bookmark which was I think http://bthomehub.home/ )

Expert
Malacath

I see what you meant now.

I originally thought you meant the ethernet cable between the router and the computer.

A few weeks ago I had a fault with my broadband. When it disconnected I couldn't access the homehub either but I was using the bthomehub.home address. I assumed it was because there were no DNS servers connected so that address couldn't be resolved.

But typing the hubs actual IP address in the address bar should still work as far as I know. If it doesn't then maybe there is a bug in the hom hub 3

Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

[ Edited ]

I have the hub version 2, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I unplugged the Internet cable and tried both the links ( home hub and the numbers) and got the same results.

That's why I liked having the hubmanager on my PC (as well as there being a link in the start menu ) you could access your hub manager regardless of Internet connection/ server problems

Expert
Malacath

Installing the disc shouldn't effect your home hubs current configuration.

The installation program should just detect you are already connected and not change any settings.

That's how it worked for me anyway when I installed the disc.

Aspiring Expert
nicmcckip

[ Edited ]

Thanks I will have to try that 

sorry so can you just install the hub manager or will it install anything else?

also do you have vision?, if so did it cause any problems?

thanks again