on 09-10-2010 12h52
I have just had BT Infinity installed. Using BT Speedtester got around 35Mb download speed - really happy!
Then setup the Home Hub with my own SSID and network password (as used on previous hub for ADSL) to replace the default SSID and password.
Running speedtester and other speed testers only got 15-19Mb when connected to hub by wireless. Checked when connected via ethernet and got the 35Mb rate.
Repeated test and got 15-19Mb rate again. Immediatley reset hub back to defaults (ie default SSID and password) reconnected to wireless and re-ran BT Speedtester and got 35Mb rate when connected by wireless.
Location of laptop was the same in all of the above tests. Wireless appeared to show a good connection. My SSID was 12 characters long and network password was 17 characters long.
Is it right that setting your own SSID and network password has such an apparent impact on performance or is there something else going on?
Any comments gratefully received.
Solved! Go to Solution.
on 09-10-2010 12h58
I would not have expected a change of SSID and password to have that effect. Are you sure that you did not change any of the other settings which may have caused the problem?
I think it would be worth trying again with a different SSID and password to see what happens. If there is still a problem, please post back again so that we can be aware of it. Someone else may then be able to offer an explanation or help further.
on 09-10-2010 13h07
Can't think of a technical reason for this other than you changed some parameters such as wireless Channel or something else.
When I have a bit more time I will try what you did on my homehub and see what happens......
09-10-2010 13h12 - edited 09-10-2010 13h14
Not sure from post so was your first and highest test by wifi or cable to router ? prior to ssid change
on 09-10-2010 17h18
Thanks for comments.
The original high speed reading was on wireless as well. I did change channel but did the same again after I reset the Home Hub. Otherwise the only difference was the SSID and password.
Had a further thought - as the new SSID was the one I had used on the previous ADSL router , when my laptop "saw" this same SSID again it connected automatically. Perhaps I should have deleted the automatic connection to that SSID name and gone through the connect sequence again?
Thanks for all your comments - I thought I may be missing something obvious!
I will experiment some more and post the results.
on 10-10-2010 11h20
Managed to work out after a bit of playing around what was causing the drop in download speed after changing the SSID and network password. For info this was on a Windows XP laptop.
Because I changed the SSID and network password to one I had used on the previous ADSL router, once it was changed my laptop automatically connected to the router. Something I noticed was that it showed the wireless connection as 54Mbps - with the other settings it was showing 65Mbps. I then disconnected from this wireless connection (the connection changes to manual), and then hit the connect button again - it prompts for the network password which was entered and it then connected. Download speed was back up to around 35Mb and the wireless connection now shows 65Mbps. It looks like something was being remembered on my laptop about the old wireless connection with this SSID which was causing the problem.
The problem will only occur when you are using an SSID that you have used previously on your laptop with a previous router. So changing your new router to look like your old router is what might lead to this problem.
The solution is therefore after changing the SSID to simply open the Wireless Network Connection display in Windows, disconnect from your wireless connection, then connect to it again. Everything then works fine.
on 10-10-2010 13h24
Ian , Good work , and will bear your info in mind. I changed my SSID / PAssword as test , and found no difference in speeds , but I did just choose random SSID and Password , not ones from Previous router..