Beginner
geoffpop3

Intermittent POP3 email logon failures

Hi,

can anyone help me please?

I have 3 BT yahoo pop3 accounts and 1 third party pop3 account in Outlook 2003. The BT email fails frequently - many times per day sometimes. The third party account never fails. I have an auto send & receive set up on all accounts running every 5 minutes.

The dialogue box for entering logon credentials pops up, but of course these have not changed since it worked 5 minutes previously. The BT error message is along the lines of "email server rejected your login. Server responded ERR[SYS/TEMP] sever error (#ocf013)"

This has been going on for months but seems to be much worse recently and is starting to drive me mad - I am often in the middle of typing something and end up typing in the log on credentials box instead, grrr

Any ideas?

thanks

Geoff

Beginner
geoffpop3

Re: Intermittent POP3 email logon failures

Forgot to say - the account is not locked out or anything since it will normally work ok on the next send and receive.

G

Expert
vofsanity2

I suggest you switch off the automatic send/receive or at least set it to 60 minutes unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.   I have found that my laptops network connection appears to goto sleep if I am not actively using it with the result that if I manually do a send/receive the first account often fails to connect while the network connection wakes up.  Doing a second manual send/ receive immediatly afterwards causes the first account to connect OK. 

Note that this is a different problem to the one where you get intermittent logon failures to BT Yahoo mail accounts. 

Aspiring Contributor
hakster

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Intermittent failures when doing a POP3 send and receive. About 1 in 5 attempts fails, and Outlook will not auto-retry since the server is incorrectly stating that the username and password is incorrect, which it is not, since a manual retry fixes it. Seems to be really bad the last 2 weeks or so.

I get 2 errors from the POP3 server, either internal server error 6532 or OCF013. I called BT, but the people I spoke to did not understand the issue at all, just kept insisting that my settings were wrong, or that the error was not from the server but "from Outlook".

I have actually reproduced this intermittent issue on 3 different computers, 1 with Win 7 and Outlook, 1 with Win7 and Live Mail, and 1 with Linux and Thunderbird. All behave the same, intermittently reporting these errors.

Interestingly, a sub-account email with BT Yahoo works perfectly on all 3 computers, and so does Gmail, so this is a strange issue, nonetheless it is certian it is affecting some accounts and is to do with the BT POP3 server, but one technician told me it was a known issue and Yahoo were working on it, the other said that was defintely not correct and it was "my PC".

I wonder if anyone from BT is reading this, and will actually do something about it - the tech support so far as been terrible.

megabug7

Frankly it's irritating. And recently I keep getting prompted to type in the password. It is only happening with Btinternet Mail that goes through Outlook 2007

Gmail works fine, Laposte works fine -- just BT will not send/receive mail until I confirm the password.

Please fix this, I've checked whether it's my settings and my settings are fine as this problem only surfaced about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.

Aspiring Expert
bapiow

Same.

Bt email keeps asking me for user name and password every two seconds now

Can't get any mail now, not fit for purpose.

This has got worse over the past month, will now have to ditch BT mail now.

Using outlook, is BT yahoo doing the same? if so looks like Google mail from now on!

By the way I have phoned India and that was a waste of a phone call.  

Beginner
geoffpop3

Thanks for all your comments. I too tried the India helpline twice a few months ago. The first time they insisted on fiddling with my correct account settings and so did nothing. The second time I was given an alternate server name because of "server problems". This worked for a while but then was taken offline so I had to revert to the standard server address.

If BT is reading this - you have a big issue here affecting many people, please sort it out.

Aspiring Contributor
hakster

Thanks all for the input. I'm glad at least I am not the only one, and it does seem to have started about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My guess is that something is a bit flaky or stuck on the BT POP3 server, but only affecting certain accounts. Probably needs a reboot :-)

Still, it is very frustrating that BT are not doing anything about it. I have called several times, but the tech support line basically does not understand the issue, and in fact, I don't think they have any access at all to the BT Yahoo mail server anyway - Yahoo runs that for BT I think - if you connect using telnet on the pop3 port of 110 to mail.btinternet.com, the server answering is: pop821.mail.ukl.yahoo.com. So basically, the backend server team need to look at it, but no way to get through to them of course.

If anyone has had luck getting this fixed, please do let us know, though I doubt it can be fixed at the user end.

Aspiring Contributor
frankmrobinson

Mines just the same, I've 5 email accounts and they are all affected, some more than others, usually just one of them, with many failures, then it moves on to a different one...If you see what I mean.

Same in Outlook, and windows live mail

Contributor
Jetta68

[ Edited ]

Same here, using Outlook 2010 with POP3/SMTP account.

The account settings are correct because every so often I can Send/Receive without issue and the Outlook test message is successful. The rest of the time I just get the username/password prompt.