Contributor
hazi1964

Invalid email every time I try to log in

Just joined bt today, every time I try to log in or set up my email etc, I get invalid email address, I try to retrieve my username etc but it wants my bt email address and it's that one that keeps coming up invalid.

I was connected this afternoon to my broadband which is working fine, just not my username/email address.

I have been given the runaround by customer services who tell me technical support won't take on my query and have been told a couple of different reasons including, fault with servers, being solved the day after tomorrow, my username is not activated yet and could be up to midnight before it is.  Get the picture?

Well, I have never encountered an email address not being valid simultaniously with the broadband connection activation before so I have my doubts as to whether I am being told the truth.

I have read on here that somebody else had the same problem so obviously I am not alone.

So far I am very dissatisfied and already want to cancel my contract but would like to try and resolve this first.

If anybody has any explanation as to why this is happening, I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Alison

From Alison, sent from my iPad 2
Sage
imjolly

Re: Invalid email every time I try to log in

welcome to the forum

it can take a couple of days after activation of your broadband before your email account can be accessed.  cancelling your broadband after activation will incur early termination penalties

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
hazi1964

A couple of days??? That's ridiculous, how on earth do I send important emails while I am waiting?

Alison

Sage
imjolly

the same as many others do - set up an email with a third party like windows live mail/thunderbird/gmail etc   in fact many use that instead of bt email

just keep trying your account it may be active tomorrow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
IanC

That may be so, but email is an inclusive part of the broadband package.

If the broadband service  activated on a given date, then the included email facility should be working too. Anything else would be an altogether unacceptable situation for me...unless the broadband had been activated in advance of any agreed date.

Contributor
hazi1964

<<That may be so, but email is an inclusive part of the broadband package.

If the broadband service  activated on a given date, then the included email facility should be working too. Anything else would be an altogether unacceptable situation for me...unless the broadband had been activated in advance of any agreed date.>>

I totally agree with this. Never before have I signed up for a service where email has taken longer to be activated than the broadband connection, in fact, it's been the total opposite, all my past providers activated my email account before the broadband was activated and I was able to start using the address immediately so that by the time bb was enabled, I was ll and truly up and running.

I do not want a hotmail account or any other type of email account, I want to use what I am paying for, btinternet.

So far, am not a happy customer and am beginning to wonder if I should have gone with another provider.

Sorry for the rant but I expect more from such a big company.
Alison.

Contributor
hazi1964

[ Edited ]
Sorry, reply went wrong. Will deal with it later

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Just to check that there has been no mix up over your details and the e-mail a/c; why not try setting up a google mail account, and sending an e-mail to your bt e-mail address and see if you get a non delivery message back.

Or ask a friend to e-mail you on your bt email adress and see what the response is if you dont want to set up a bt email address. I presume you have an active email a/c somewhere else, or you would not have been able to validate your membership of this forum to post

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Contributor
hazi1964

Ok, the whole point is that I want to use my already booked bt email address. A friend has tried emailing me on said address but it has bounced.

I have another email address with my old provider but now that I am on btinternet, can only receive, not send from that address.

I do not want to mess about with setting up alternative addresses.

I have been looking into it and according to bt, my registered email address should have been working even before my broadband was activated so no idea what is going on.

Unfortunately, there is no way to speak to anybody about this unless I want to go through to a call centre in India. No contact us option online, just answers to common questions, not happy at all.
Alison

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

You are using for example

myname@btinternet.com

?

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."