wordweaver

Is this email legitimate, please?

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I received an email from this address

BT Yahoo! Mail team <btcomms@btcomms.com>

Saying that I need to upgrade my BT Yahoo! Mail. I ran this by a BT employee on the chat facility yesterday, and even after enquiries, she said that no one there recognized the 'btcomms.com' address as coming from BT. However, after a Google search I noticed that one of the mods/admin bods here says it is, so now I'm completely confused. 

Would be grateful if anyone could help, please!

StuartH

Re: Is this email legitimate, please?

Hi Wordweaver

Welcome to the community.

I'd like to look into this for you, I am concerned if it is a scam it is something that needs fed back.

Can you send me an email using the contact us form. The address for this contact us form is at the top of my profile in the section 'about me'.

Thanks

Stuart

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

wordweaver wrote:

I ran this by a BT employee on the chat facility yesterday, and even after enquiries, she said that no one there recognized the 'btcomms.com' address as coming from BT.

Strange that.  www.btcomms.com links to a legitimate BT site.  Try this link.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
toekneem

[ Edited ]

yes they own the domain name:

Registrant:
BRITISH TELECOMMUNICATIONS PLC
PP. G555
81 Newgate Street
London, London ec1a 7aj
UK

Domain Name: BTCOMMS.COM

http://whois.domaintools.com/btcomms.com

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If the e-mail provides a link to login to your e-mail account to upgrade or validate it, then its probably a "phishing" attempt to extract your login details. Also, nobody else here seems to have received it, so I would ignore it.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
toekneem

Its possibly the same mail as this one:

http://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/BT-Yahoo-Mail-Upgrade/td-p/285183

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Guru
Andy_N

wordweaver wrote:

Saying that I need to upgrade my BT Yahoo! Mail. I ran this by a BT employee on the chat facility yesterday, and even after enquiries, she said that no one there recognized the 'btcomms.com' address as coming from BT. However, after a Google search I noticed that one of the mods/admin bods here says it is, so now I'm completely confused. 

Would be grateful if anyone could help, please!

Hi. Welcome to the forums

The email is legitimate. I've received more than one and checked it thoroughly.

btcomms.com is used a lot in correspondence from BT. The email gives a link :-

http://view.btemailsonline.com/2011/04/08/BTY_minty_cgram.html

to see an online version. That isn't a BT specific domain and uses external sources. In my view BT should *only* ever use their own domain to produce emails for end users.

wordweaver

Thanks everyone - really appreciate all the help and feedback.

Best wishes to all,

W

Contributor
Robbie

I have one of these emails too and I am very suspicious of any email with 'Urgent' in the title.  The email has only gone to 1 of our 3 accounts and the errors and addressing goes against BT policy.  The number errors also makes it suspect:

btcomms@btcomms.com

Your Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail is closing. [We do not use Classic]
You need to upgrade now [Note missing punctuation]

Hello, [Note not addressed to account holder]

The Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will be replaced by our new version on 3 June 2013. So it's time to upgrade, before you lose your email access. [Rather threatening as you do not lose access, just forced to go via new version and Outlook etc will still work]

When you upgrade your BT Yahoo! Mail
 Your email service won't be affected and you'll keep all your old contacts, folders and messages. Plus you'll get: 
  • faster email
  • the latest spam protection
  • unlimited email storage. [Note change in punctuation]
 How you upgrade
 Click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll also need to agree to some new terms and conditions. [Note poor English]

Upgrade BT Yahoo! Mail

If your browser displays a message saying it won't support the new version of BT Yahoo! Mail, you'll need to update your browser (it's easy and free) then you can go on to upgrade.

If you don't upgrade now
 If you want to carry on getting your emails, you need to upgrade now, because the Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will stop working after 3 June.

Got a question?
 For more information, help or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/newmail.

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service
Guru
Andy_N

Robbie wrote:

I have one of these emails too and I am very suspicious of any email with 'Urgent' in the title.  The email has only gone to 1 of our 3 accounts and the errors and addressing goes against BT policy.  The number errors also makes it suspect:

However, the email is definitely genuine.