Aspiring Contributor
Bungle11
Accepted Solution

Keeping email addresses

Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere on this forum, but if it has, I can't find it.

So the question is:
I am considering moving to a different ISP. What happens to my @btinternet email addresses?

Thanks!

Expert
Geoff93

Re: Keeping email addresses

I think if you want to keep it you need to sign up to BT yahoo premium otherwise it will die at some stage.

have a look here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12682/~/what's-the-difference-between-bt-yahoo!-premi...
Aspiring Contributor
Bungle11

Thanks Geoff,

The reason I'm thinking of leavin BT is that my phone line and broadband is over £42 per month. With other providers I can get a bit more for just under £20, and that includes anytime calls and plenty of 0870 and 0845 minutes (I know that these are free with BT). The only problem is that I would lose my BTvision; so I'd have to buy a Freeview PVR as a one-off cost of about £130.

Aspiring Contributor
Bungle11

Just had a phone call from BT. I've been offered a much better deal. It would tie me in on a 12 month contract, (but still £5 a month dearer than the opposition), so I've got a decision to make.

Positives are that I could keep my BTvision and email adresses. So I wouldn't need to buy a PVR.

Tne negative factor is the £60 over the next year and quality of help from the BT reps in Pune. My experience of that over the years hasn't been very good at all. The "other" provider that I might go to has excellent customer service (one of my sons is already a customer).

Expert
HHGTTG

Don't worry about your BT email address. I have signed up with Google's gmail and have got myself a gmail address that I can use no matter which ISP I finally end up with.
With Gmail you can pop3 it to several email clients including Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express etc.
Don't bother with ISP based emails they can become a pain iin the proverbial should you need to change ISP. It took me years to make this change and wish I'd done iit a long time ago.
MrP
Aspiring Expert
MrP

Just a thought... If you were to set up an alternative Gmail account (or a standard Yahoo! account since you are familiar with the interface) and begin using that new account right away for all your email, you can forward (or collect with POP3?) all your @btinternet BT Yahoo! Mail to your new account so you don't miss any, but gradually inform your emailers of your new address. When people have stopped using your old email address (perhaps after a few months) then cancel your BT Yahoo! Premium service (at £1.54/month).

Expert
HHGTTG

That is what I am doing. I am keeping my Orange account open for several months and paying my ISP until everyone i consider important enough has got my new gmail address and then It is goodbye Orange.
I am currently using Vodalfone mobile broadband which is excellent for my needs although not very cheap for the amount of data allocated/month.
Aspiring Contributor
Bungle11

Well, I've just signed up to an extra 12 months with BT. Even though it is £5 a month more than the alternative deal I could have got, it means that I don't need to shell out to buy a PVR right now (I can still use my BTvision as a PVR without buying any extra services).

I have created a Gmail account (but it took a long time to find a unique ID) and over the next 12 months I will migrate all my important sites like banks, shops and clubs etc to this Gmail address (39 of them so far that I can think of, not including the 101 people in my address book). So in 12 months, it will be a lot easier to move to a different ISP.

As for T'interweb when I'm out and about, I use my Three phone via bluetooth to my laptop - works fine even in remote camping areas and I get unlimited internet from Three included in my £15 a month contract. BTW, Three is the only network that works at home without dropouts. (Vodafone and O2 just don't work reliably enough).

Thanks for all of the comments from you all; they have helped me to make my decision.

Expert
HHGTTG

It took me a few attempts to get the gmail address that I wanted but after some were rejected (already in use, I suppose) I am very happy with the one I ended up with, as it gives just about enough info. as to who I am but not too much, if you know what I mean.