Aspiring Expert
Dean235

Manual Power Save on BT Home Hub 4

Hi. I know the BT Home Hub 4 automatically has Power save. But. I would like there to be a maunual opton like the BT Home Hub 3 where you select what time for the hub to power down. Maybe this could be included in the next firmware update?

Expert
Ribblelancs

Re: Manual Power Save on BT Home Hub 4

Dean235 wrote:

Hi. I know the BT Home Hub 4 automatically has Power save. But. I would like there to be a maunual opton like the BT Home Hub 3 where you select what time for the hub to power down. Maybe this could be included in the next firmware update?

Hi.

I've noticed some oddities in the Home Hub 4, received by Royal Mail yesterday.

I put another post in the "other broadband queries" section, wrongly, perhaps, as we'll be muddled by all the posts. My post was on diagnostics.

My query has drawn no repsonse, but will have to wait. It's early days.

As for power save, the only way that I can see is to inhibit connection to wifi devices within specified hours.

Power consumtion: I have a true reading kWatt meter, but don't want to start disconnecting evething yet.

There's also an energy meter installed, at the main meter - a clamp device. Indications are that the HH4 doesn't draw more power than the HH2. The energy meter, or course, only measures VA and not true watts, as it can't measure power factor. A rough guess would be around 3 watts, just left in standby. i.e 72 watt hours per day, 2.23 kWh per month. 

Guru
sjtp

I have found a useful rough guide is 1 watt = £1 per year. (It is a bit less for now, but it will probably be more accurate pretty soon.)

My Owl USB clamp device is incapable of seeing power usage changes that low; quite apart from ignoring power factor.
Expert
Ribblelancs

sjtp wrote:
I have found a useful rough guide is 1 watt = £1 per year. (It is a bit less for now, but it will probably be more accurate pretty soon.)

My Owl USB clamp device is incapable of seeing power usage changes that low; quite apart from ignoring power factor.

Interesting to read your post.

My estimate was a very rough guide. It seems that the Hub power supply maximum output is 15 watts. Is your figure from a manual? Is it a figure or just a cost estimate per watt?

(The energy meter can save you a lot of power. It cut my consumption down by 40%. It persuaded me to buy a new freezer which paid for itself in 2.5 years.)

Back to the Hub:-

The only real way to check the Hub consumption is to fit a plug-in kW meter to the mains power supply socket, which I will do when it's all settled down. The Maplin plugin meter claims 1% accuracy a low power ranges, which may be optimistic.

Guru
sjtp

My estimate was just a cost estimate per watt.

I agree on energy meters, like you I have both an Owl (which gives overall usage and logs it, but not very accurate and rubbish software) and a plugin meter (much more precise, but involves unplugging/replugging the device to use).  My main saving was that it led me (indirectly) to realize the the central heating pump was on all the time because the tank thermostat had been put in the wrong place.