Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving house. Can I use the router with openzone

I am moving house next week and have a date of 7 days later for phone/BB activation.

Is there a way for me to use the BT hub router to connect to BT Openzone wifi

My phone does connect but is a low signal, am thinking the BT hub will be stronger

Any info appreciated

Distinguished Sage

Re: Moving house. Can I use the router with openzone

Hi you cannot connect in that way using the hub you will have to wait until your phone line is broadband activated to use the hub
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’

Any idea what i could use
Distinguished Sage

If you are in a good 3G mobile signal area where you are moving to, you could buy a USB mobile data dongle on a pay-as-you-go basis, and that would also be useful if you were away from home.

Check the coverage of whichever provider you use first. You need good indoor coverage.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

yeah that was an option but as im a BT customer I might as well use the openzone

Could I use an N rated wifi extender to help get a better signal
if so are these easy to configer for openzone
Distinguished Sage

If the signal is weak, then it won`t help.

A wireless card with an external aerial may be better. Internal laptop aerials are not usually very good.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

[ Edited ]

I was looking at a TP link 901nd

I do have an external aerial and a netgear router but not sure how to configer this for openzone
do I use my openzone user and pass in the admin area of the router? 

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

You could use that in the client mode, as a wireless receiver, and plug in into the Ethernet port of your computer, but its a real pain to setup for FON and Openzone because they use a different subnet. So I would advise against it.

A USB adapter would be much easier and cheaper.

Is it a desktop computer that you are trying to connect?

initially it is for a laptop but do have a desktop as well that would be used

I may opt for a dongle and maybe make use of it elsewhere

seems daft considering I am paying for the privilege of BTs openzone
Distinguished Guru

You can tether a mobile phone to a computer, effectively using it as a 3G dongle. The trouble with dongles nowadays is that the data packages are all time limited, which makes them expensive for occasional use. Subject to an adequate data allowance, browsing via your mobile won't cost anything.

Similarly, you can also set up an android phone as a wifi hotspot (don't know about Apples).

I know you said the mobile signal was weak but it's worth trying to see if it's better that the Openzone signal if you're in range of one. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.