Beginner
sailbad-the-sinner
Accepted Solution

Need to be able to upload folders on bt cloud!

The BT Cloud is unusable at the moment because folders cannot be uploaded onto it. I have approx 45gb of photos neatly stored in folders/subfolders, I tried to start going into the folders and selecting multiple individual files, but soon realised it would take several weeks of my time (which I don`t have) to upload. and as most of my photographs have no name (just camera photo numbers in folders) It will be a total mess when they are uploaded anyway! Impossible to put back in folders on the cloud, because they are just numbers. Despite this, I tried to remove several thousand files and then upload them so my time would not be wasted waiting for them to upload, but a message came up that said no more than 200 files at a time! ARRGH!!

The Ipad and Iphone apps are great though. (although it is not clear whether my files are backed up or uploaded)

BT Please address this issue as your Cloud is too hard to be a serious contender on a PC.

Guru
sjtp

Re: Need to be able to upload folders on bt cloud!

[ Edited ]

You can't upload folders from the Web interface, and as you say a limit of 200 files at a time.  However, if you use the Windows (and I assume the Mac) client, then you can select folders for moving to BT Cloud.  That will upload everything in that folder and all subfolders.  Login to MyBT and then choose the My BT Cloud option and you should get a download link. Once in the BT Cloud client, choose 'Add to backup'.

Be aware that this is more a sync than a backup: if you delete anything on the PC/Mac by mistake or on purpose, it will be deleted from the BT Cloud.  Except that it only syncs between the PC and the Cloud ~ basically combines the worst features of sync and backup programs.

You also can get a free flickr pro account with your BT email.  However, that also has awkwardnesses in uploading large numbers of files/folders.

Beginner
sailbad-the-sinner

Oh well I`m back to square one then, because I want to upload the files in case my house burns down or my computer is stolen etc.  Hence my last post!

Guru
sjtp

If your house burns down or your computer is stolen you'll be fine (at least, as far as photos and other files saved in the cloud is concerned).  It's if you have a finger slip on the computer and delete of directory of files that you may lose them.

So, probably worth using BT Cloud; just be careful ....  No backup is magic, and BT Cloud is rather less magic than most.

Even deleted files can be recovered from Trash using the web interface; but it seems to lose the directory structuring and to be quite awkward to recover lots of files.

Beginner
sailbad-the-sinner

So If I download and log in on a new computer, and the cloud sees my photo folder is empty, surely the cloud will delete my photos? or don`t I get something?

Beginner
sailbad-the-sinner

Just seen where my first big problem occured! After signing into mybt I was directed to a page that said go to bt cloud, which I had kept doing!! but further down the page it says download BT Cloud that is where I was missing a lot of the options. Also just realised that a new computer will not have the same I.D. as my old one, so will not delete my files. Phew! Just have to be careful not to delete my photo folders. Thanks for the Replys though. Much appreciated.

Guru
sjtp

The cloud sets up a different area for each 'device' it sees, plus one area for Web Uploads. So when you get a new computer and install BT Cloud it will be a new device; but you will be able to download files/folders saved from any other device onto it.

One problem in some cases is that if you have to reinstall on the same computer it still thinks it is a new device; so doesn't properly associate already backed up folders with what is on the computer. You could take advantage of that to back up lots, then reinstall BT Cloud. The initial backup would be a safe snapshot of what was on the computer just before the reinstall.
Aspiring Contributor
Timewarp

If you accidentally delete something it appears to go into "Trash" on the cloud. I'm not sure if this is the case for changed files (say you overwrite a file by accident).

I found adding folders via the dialog very hit and miss. I had a folder that would not add at all, the Windows app just kept navigating into it. That was until I renamed it to have a dot in the name, then it added fine. The folder only had a handful of files within it, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Guru
sjtp

If you accidentally delete something it appears to go into "Trash" on the cloud.

Yes, but it appears to lose the directory structuring in Trash, so very difficult to recover lost folders.

And, as far as I can see no support for versioning and overwritten files.

Contributor
cats_123

This is marked as `solved' when in fact it's not...I have tried both the download client and the online version and BT Cloud will not accept `folders'...seems you have to get to the very bottom of the tree and select all visible images within a folder for it to accept the files....a total waste of time....I shan't be using this until the service improves