Beginner
andrewtubb1

Net Protect Plus

When I do a full scan with McAfee it takes over two hours this can't be right.

Andy.T.
Distinguished Guru
DS

Re: Net Protect Plus

Hi anderwtubb1 and welcome

Sounds about right to me!

This happened to me - on an xp sp3 PC. It affects older PC's (like mine) than the modern day top of the range ones.

Note I've written happened and not happens. Mine had an auto update to the new shiny 2010 version.

I can't comment yet to say if this one hogs the PC or not as a full scan hasn't happened yet.

You could if you so choose to download the new version here - http://www.bt.com/netprotectplus/download

You will be updated at some point anyway, so maybe it's worth a shot as they state that this one takes up less resources.

Post back - good or bad.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner
BeijingBabe49

Thanks to everyone for raising this issue and trying to address it. Since I installed McAfee 3 weeks ago, everything has been very slow. It takes more than 30 minutes to get my Internet Explorer initial webpage. I have disabled real time scanning - impossible to work on even simple, pre-existing, already scanned self-created documents. I have also now disabled scheduled scanning. If your computer is not on when the scan is scheduled, it starts scanning as soon as you start your computer and everything is frozen or extremely slow.  Even if you select "scan in background" everything is still extremely slow. Even trying to click the menu items on McAfee or trying to stop the scan is not responsive. When it did the initial full scan, it took more than 2 hours. My operating system is Vista Business. Having read all your contributions, I'm going to uninstall McAfee. I might try the Microsoft Security Essentials which several contributors have mentioned favourably. I can't believe Microsoft is inspiring recommendations rather than gripes! If so the Security Essentials must be good.

Beginner
BeijingBabe49

I checked and it is McAfee version 10. Yesterday my full scan took 4 hours, on a Vaio using Vista Business OS. I had just cleaned up my computer to back up and delete all my personal documents, emptied the bin etc, so there was was a minimum of non-program files, but it still took a long time.

Beginner
martinadams

I upgraded to the new version a week ago. My weekly scheduled scan used to take a little over an hour to run - it has run twice on the new version and taken around 9 hours each time. It also seems to have deleted a number of useful cookies like the ones that save me typing in my userid on various websites.

I've no advice I'm afraid but I can confirm that something is wrong!

:robotmad:

Aspiring Contributor
Ian-M

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH NET PROTECT EVER SINCE I INSTALLED MACAFEE.

I HAVE THIS ON DESKTOP,LAPTOP AND NETBOOK ALL RUNNING WIN7.

EACH TIME I DO A FULL SCAN IT TAKES A MINIMUM OF 12 HRS.

I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING FULL SCAN ON DESKTOP AND ITS TAKEN 24HRS TO DO APPROX 25%.

TRIED BT HELP BUT ALL WAS TOLD WAS DELETE HISTORY FILES WHICH DID NO GOOD.

THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM AT IT WOULD BE GOOD TO FINALLY GET AN ANSWER THAT WORKS

Aspiring Expert
tickhill

[ Edited ]

I've kep't a running commentary on events since installing Net Protect Plus - purchased version if it differs any way from the inclusive version with Option 2.

See http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-NetProtect-Plus/td-p/5899

In terms of scanning my only issue was when would it start - the current version has a start time of (say) 4.00am and you login at 8.00am - the scan will start after your PC has witnessed no activity for a period of 10 minutes after login.  Goodness knows why!!

In terms of time for a full scan - mine does it in about 90 minutes.

The previous version - net protect - which I had as part of Option 2 took around an hour.

Presumably many factors can determine the speed of the scan - where there is a real problem have Users checked to see if they have enough RAM?

The Moderators were quite helpful with my initial enquiries and maybe this item should be drawn to their attention. If you are having extreme difficulties send them an email.

Address:  forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Beginner
martinadams

Interesting! The weekly scheduled scan has just completed and this time it took 2 hours - not very different to the time it used to take before the recent upgrade. I've changed nothing on my machine since my earlier post and the same applications were running alongside the background scan.

Do I assume that McAfee have pushed a fix out or was there an unrelated problem that made the last two scans run so slowly? The first seems more likely as I've changed nothing on my machine's settings and I tend to keep it fairly uncluttered w.r.t. background processes - guess I'll wait to see how long next week's scan takes.

:smileysurprised: <=couldn't find a "Bewildered" smiley so this will have to do.

Beginner
cduckers

I have been using Net ProtectPlus for about a year and over the last two weeks have formatted and re-installed XP Home on my desktop computer. The last thing I installed was the new Net ProtectPlus (which automatically removed Spybot in the process).

Before I did my computer was running like lightening. Since I instally it everything has slowed considerably, and is much slower than it used to be. There are now some programs which run so slowly they are virtually unusable.... until, that is, I ust the option in Net ProtectPlus to switch off the firewall, then everything runs quickly again.

I have also noticed that it takes scans hours to complete, and if the scrteensaver kicks in the scan appears to stop.

I would gladly welcome alternatives to McAffee's Net ProtectPlus. I am not sure how much of the work the full version of Spybot does, or what additional protection would be needed.

My computer is a Novatech with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41 GHz, and 2 GB RAM.

My Novatach laptop has also become very slow since I upgraded to the new version of Net ProtectPlus. Turion 64 running up to 2GHz.

Charles

Aspiring Expert
tickhill

[ Edited ]

Reference my comments about the short-cut icon appearing (unnecessarily) on the home page and re-appearing when you re-boot even if deleted.

The Support team told me it was a feature of NetProtectPlus and you could not stop it.

I've just found another thread on this forum which suggests you can:

Read:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-NetProtect-Plus-cannot-get-rid-of-desktop-shortcut/m-p/4248...

I followed the procedure and it successfully removed the unnecessary shortcut.

A Postcript  - pity information is so scattered on this Forum - only found the above quite by chance when looking for something else.

A nice re-org with Main Headings (e.g. NetProtect Plus) and sub menus beneath it for all discussion would be great.