SorchaG

Re: Netprotect plus. Real-time scanning constantly switching off

There seems to be multiple variations with this problem. Try double clicking on McAfee icon on taskbar to open  Home page, click on Home Network tab in list, click on My Network, and click to select "my computer/laptop" to re-establish connection between McAfee and your computer.  Go back to Real Time Virus Scanning tab and select updates and install any new updates, this should pick up any that were missed out. This may work depending on your particular problem. It worked for me after 2 months of contantly having to go through admin account to switch back on.:smileyhappy:

P370

This worked for me, thank you :smileyhappy:

Great Help as I was starting to lose it ;-)

Contributor
princessfiona

I have just spent the best part of 2 days - 2 days! - with the BT "helpline" trying unsuccessfully to get this issue sorted out.  Compounded by the fact that, having downloaded perfectly well for years, BT Netprotect Plus is now refusing to completely download onto my computer, and is stalling at the same point every time.  The helpline have blamed everything from the quality of my wireless connection (it's fine) to my having introduced a new wireless device near the hub (I haven't).  I am LIVID to discover after logging on here that this is a known problem.  The helpline have implied to me that this problem is completely unique to me, and that it is more or less my fault. If, as is obviously the case, this is a known and common problem, BT should be sorting out, not fobbing customers off with pathetic platitudes and failing to get the problem sorted.  I'm still no further forward.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Hi princessfiona and welcome

princessfiona wrote:

BT Netprotect Plus is now refusing to completely download onto my computer, and is stalling at the same point every time.

Is this during an update, or a reinstall?

In either case, have you tried to fully uninstall it and reinstall it?

this should sort it all out...

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select BT Netprotect Plus.

Then use the removal tool (steps 1&2 only) - http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

And download a clean new version - http://www.bt.com/netprotectplus/download (using your primary account name and password)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Contributor
princessfiona

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, all that has been done, both by myself and remotely by the BT helpline people, lots and lots of times.  I use the removal tool, reboot, start the download, all goes well, then a short while before the end it stops.  And that's it.  Then I get a download failed message, and it tells me to start the whole process again. 

Distinguished Guru
DS

Are you sure that any preinstalled AV or indeed the windows firewall aren't automatically restarting, thus causing the BT download to fail?

Based on the following link - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14177/c/346,510,3998 - at which point is it failing?

Contributor
princessfiona

At the Downloading Installation Files stage, and always at the same point :- 110030.09 downloaded out of 113099.57, ie very close to the end.  The downloading speed plummets when it get to that number - it's as if there is a "jam" at precisely that point bringing the whole process to a juddering halt.  I do appreciate this help, thank you.

Contributor
princessfiona

Forgot to add that as far as I'm aware, all other AV is removed, and I have turned off the Windows Firewall.

Contributor
princessfiona

... but how would I know whether the Windows Firewall was automatically restarting, would the system tell me?

Distinguished Guru
DS

princessfiona wrote:

... but how would I know whether the Windows Firewall was automatically restarting, would the system tell me?

It depends on your OS as to how you would know (if you're not sure how to check - google will help:smileywink:)

Normally, when any AV or other non windows firewall is turned off or disabled by the user, windows will enable itself by default. You need to disable it manually (again google will help)