Contributor
George99

New BT Yahoo Mail

Has anyone else been foolish enough to download the new BT Yahoo Mail? I did a couple of days ago.

It's advertised as faster, safer, better, easier to use etc, etc. In truth it's awful. It's considerably slower and your contact list only shows the first name of the contact with their e-mail address in small letters below. If you're not careful you could send an e-mail to the wrong person.

There is no easy way to revert to the BT Yahoo Mail Classic version. My next mistake was filling in a question form on line asking how to revert. I specifally told them to reply by e-mail as I didn't want to speak to the Asian Helpline. This is because I can't understand them and I'm certain from their replies that they don't understand me either. Needless to say they rang me. I then spent about 30 minutes getting absolutley nowhere. It ended with the "BT Helpdesk Agent" telling me that Yahoo are looking into the problems as numerous people are having problems. He said try it again in about one month!!!!

Another problem I have been having with BT Yahoo Mail, before I downloaded the "new" version, is all my e-mails are going directly into the Trash folder. Even those from people in my contact list. I normally use Outlook Express to send and recieve e-mails(OK I'm a dinosaur), Strangley I also use Mailwasher to identify the rubbish so I can delete it before  downloading the good stuff. If I then go to BT Yahoo Mail all the e-mails are still listed in the trash folder.

Is anyone else suffering, or am I the only numpty? Don't answer that!

Maybaby

Re: New BT Yahoo Mail

I am having the same problems and just posted my own query, then saw yours.  My issues involved not being able to send attachments.  I also asked for a response by email and received a telephone response. 

Am now back on the old BT Yahoo, this involved allowing the member of BT staff to access my machine and revert back for me - I wasn't entirely happy this.  It seemed to involve him changing my display settings although he did put them back afterwards - I still have no idea why this was necessary.

Now back on the old BT Yahoo, I can send attachments but the space for typing emails is tiny and I have to scroll from left to right to see them fully.  Also, more annoyingly, I am no longer able to drag and drop mail into folders, meaning I am unable to organise my emails and my inbox is filling up rapidly.

I am very disappinted with BT right now - everytime I log in, I see an advert for the new new BT Yahoo encouraging their customers to start using it, however, it doesn't seem to be being advertised as a Beta version, so they are advertising it, knowing full well there are problems.  It seems that in doing so, they are just going to get more complaints and it is going to take them longer to fix the issue and deal with the exisiting complaints.

Not a happy bunny.

Contributor
George99

The Helpdesk guy wanted remote access to my PC too but I refused. I asked why and he said the screen resolution needed changing. I said I can do that myself, and did. I changed it from max resolution to minimum as instructed, the screen icons were much larger as was my background. The clock counted down to zero then everyhting reverted to as it was before.

Maybaby, perhaps you can tell me what happened to your PC after you changed the screen resolution and I will try again. I shan't be satisfied until I've got rid of this "New" Yahoo Mail. 

Contributor
George99

I have cured my problem, I think. I have just changed my screen resolution and opened the "New BT Yahoo Mail". There was a button to click on to revert to the previous version of BT Yahoo Mail, which I clicked. All seems OK now.

I think the problem earlier is when the helpdesk guy told me to change the resolution I didn't click "Yes" before the clock counted down so the resolution didn't change and therefore I never saw the revert button.

Why there couldn't have been a revert to the previous version button already visible on the new mail page I don't know.

Maybaby

Pleased you have resolved your issue.  :smileyhappy:   I'm still unable to drag and drop emails into folders and still waiting to hear back from BT.  :smileysad:

Beginner
Gavinroebuck

I can't find the " revert to original mail " button as they claim - I would like to change back. Where is this button anyone know please?

kenjames

You have two choices: 1. to return to the old Classic version for one time only and 2. to return permanently. The buttons are at the lowest right hand corner.
kenjames

I changed to the lowest resolution 800x600 and i received a page telling me that I could not use the new BT Yahoo Mail and that I should change to a higher resolution.  Then followed the instructions on how to do so.  At the end of the page it offered me two buttons 1- to change to the classic version for one time only and 2 - to change to classic permanently.

Beginner
retired2

I have resisted changing to the all new mail by clicking no thank you and returning to mail classic although I hate that.

Today when I signed on I got the message that I MUST sign up to the new mail by 20 January.

From what I have read on these forums it is a backward step, can anyone suggest an alternative free mail system similar to the one BT have taken away (not classic)?  I have just signed up to BT for another year as they gave me a good deal but do not like the way they are dictating to us.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Most webmail accounts, including Gmail (Google), will allow you to send and receive mail from other mail providers, so you are free to chose whichever interface to prefer.

If you only pick up mail on one computer, then a normal e-mail program like Thunderbird may suit you better.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.