Beginner
savagexi

Novice with an IP Camera using Home Hub 3

Hi,

I have recently brought an IP camera with the aim to be able to remotely watch our new dog during the day to make sure everything is ok.  Now the problem is I am quite new to this so as you can imagine I am having problems viewing it.

I have followed the instructions to setup the camera (brought from Clas Ohlson) and can view the camera within the home network.  The problem comes when trying to view from an external network, I am not sure what IP address to put in, port etc etc.  Followed other forums, got my external IP address, tried port forwarding using the BT Home Hub 3 (selecting app as HTTP forwarding to camera) but nothing seems to work.

Would love someone to give basic advise how to sort this out, I'm in desperate need of step by step instructions.

All the best

James

Contributor
machasm

Re: Novice with an IP Camera using Home Hub 3

Although I haven't got hooked up with my HH3 yet (waiting for install on Thursday) the way these things work is as follows:

A router (your HH3 in this instance) has one external IP address which is seen from the outside world.

Lets take an example of 82.235.211.3 as your public IP.(this number is completely fictional).

This number has to be used to pass on information (web browsing, messaging, email etc etc) to any number of devices on an internal network all with their own IP addresses (normally in the form of 192.168.X.X).

These internal addresses are handed out using the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration protocol) server which is in the HH3.

Now lets say that your computer is on 192.168.1.2 for example and your ip camera is on 192.168.1.3.

The HH3 needs to know what has been requested by which piece of equipment so that when a response comes back from the public end it knows where to pass the info onto.

This is known as NAT (Network Address Translation).

On top of all this each piece of software has its own PORT number (http or web browsing uses port 80, smtp or email uses port 25 etc).

So when you open a web browser and go to BBC.co.uk your HH3 sees a request coming from 192.168.1.2 on port 80.

It then maps it in a table and forwards the request on to the bbc using its public address and a port number of its choosing.

When the request comes back with the info it comes back to the public ip with the port number.

The HH3 then looks at its table and sees that the request originated from 192.168.1.2 on port 80 and sends the packet there.

Now if traffic comes in from the public end WITHOUT a request from the internal network then there is no match in the routers NAT table and the packet is just ignored and dropped.

So how can we access your ip camera from the outside you may ask?

Well this is where we use port forwarding or port mapping.

We tell the router that any unsolicited traffic on a particular port is to be sent to a specific place, in your case you want traffic on port 80 to be sent to 192.168.1.3.

Obviously you will need to know what port the ip camera is using (I assumeit is port 80 although this is usually configurable) as well as its IP address.

Once you know this then you will be able to configure your router to pass any requests on from your public IP to your internal IP.

Once all that has been done you must access your IP camera from an external source on your public IP (in your example here on 82.235.211.3).

I know this is long winded but if you have a bit of an understanding of what is happening under the covers then it might make things easier to understand what is going wrong.

Hope this helps.

Mac.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Beginner
savagexi

Thanks for the advise I will give it a go tonight and see what happens.

With the other thread, does this mean there isn't possible with home hub 3, there is quite a few replies (24 pages) and I can't see (understand) the solution?

Cheers James.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The other thread says that port forwarding does not work with the Home Hub 3, so you are probably going to be out of luck, unless you use a different router.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
machasm

OK I have now been connected to infinity and am using the HH3.

You can connect to your ip camera from an external source.

The home hub does indeed do port forwarding.

I have set it up to port forward to my ip camera with no problem.

I also have it set to allow PPTP traffic in and forwarding that to my main PC.

On top of that I have also setup my own custom port forward to allow UDP packets on port 9 (WOL) to forward to the main PC so that I can wake it from my phone when I am out and about.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Perhaps the problem has now been fixed, or you have a different version of the HH3 which works.

I beleive that there are now two versions, so I would be interested to know which version you have, so that

forum members can give up to date advice.

Thanks

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
machasm

I am running software version

V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B

It says on the sticker at the bottom Home hub type B

Other than that I can't see anything else apart from its serial number.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

machasm wrote:

I am running software version

V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B

It says on the sticker at the bottom Home hub type B

Other than that I can't see anything else apart from its serial number.

Thank you for that.

It would  be worth adding your comments to the end of the big thread regarding port forwarding on the HH3.

If you could copy your post, but also add this software and version information to the post, I am sure it would be appreciated.

The thread is here http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Home-Hub-3-Port-Forwarding-NOT/td-p/154757

Contributor
machasm

Done.