Bogie48

Old Talk21 email address, no longer able to send messages

Hi,

I've had an old BT "talk21.com" email address for many years which has always worked fine.  I've also got a btinternet.com address which is fine.  I access my mails through Outlook, downloading using the POP3 settings with no problems for years.

But 3 days ago, my talk21 address stopped being able to send and I get the 0x800CCC0F error message with "connection interrupted".  I've tried checking the server settings and they are unchanged and are exactly the same as for my btinternet.com address which is still working fine.  I still receive messages to the Talk21 address with no problem.

There have been no changes to my pc - Windows firewall running, which allows Outlook, and AVG anti-virus which must be fine because its allowing the other address to come through.

When I run the BT Broadband Help for email setups, it tells me the btinternet.com account is fine but that the Talk21 account is a non BTinternet account so can't tell if there are any problems with it.

Has anything changed with Talk21 to stop processing messages ?  I can get into the account with no problems on the webmail client and everything seems to work fine from there.  Anyone got any bright ideas - its probably something really obvious that I'm overlooking.....

thanks

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Old Talk21 email address, no longer able to send messages

Bogie48 wrote:

Hi,

I've had an old BT "talk21.com" email address for many years which has always worked fine.  I've also got a btinternet.com address which is fine.  I access my mails through Outlook, downloading using the POP3 settings with no problems for years.

But 3 days ago, my talk21 address stopped being able to send and I get the 0x800CCC0F error message with "connection interrupted".  I've tried checking the server settings and they are unchanged and are exactly the same as for my btinternet.com address which is still working fine.  I still receive messages to the Talk21 address with no problem.

There have been no changes to my pc - Windows firewall running, which allows Outlook, and AVG anti-virus which must be fine because its allowing the other address to come through.

When I run the BT Broadband Help for email setups, it tells me the btinternet.com account is fine but that the Talk21 account is a non BTinternet account so can't tell if there are any problems with it.

Has anything changed with Talk21 to stop processing messages ?  I can get into the account with no problems on the webmail client and everything seems to work fine from there.  Anyone got any bright ideas - its probably something really obvious that I'm overlooking.....

thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

This could just be a fleeting error which seems to happen from time to time, but can last a few days. Make sure that you've set smtp authentication.

Strangely enough, talk21 accounts are actually btinternet email accounts in disguise. You can "convert" it to an @btinternet.com email address by adding :-

.t21

after the intial bit of the email address before @talk21.com (include all 4 characters).

You can alter the settings in Outlook etc to suit, however any emails sent will be received as @btinternet.com emails. You may like to try that (make of note of all the existing settings so that you can change it back after testing).

Bogie48

Re: Old Talk21 email address, no longer able to send messages

Thanks Andy - smtp authentication is still set up ok.  I did a ".t21" change a while back - I found I had to change the Logon Information User Name to include it or I couldn't send or receive - but the User Information Your Name has been fine when set to just the "@talk21.com". (i.e so as far as people receiving mails are concerned its just the @talk21.com address). 

If I now change it all to the .t21 then it still won't send and has the same error message.

My wife has got exactly the same problem (and she has a working btinternet.com address as well).

Rather odd - hopefully as you say its just a fleeting problem.  I'll give it till tomorrow and if there's no change then I'll delete the account from Outlook and set it up from scratch again and see if that clears it - could just be a glitch with Outlook I suppose....