Beginner
Jstruthio

Outlook Express 6 (Win XP) 'Send/Receive' server problem ..

For the past few months 'Outlook Express 6' has been regularly reporting the following server communication errors when attempting to download messages from the mail server. (I download messages from two separate e-mail accounts)

The OE6 errors -  

" o Message number 2 could not be retrieved. Account: 'X----- Account 1', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR inactivity timeout', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

o Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Y----- Account 1', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F "

The errors usually appear after the initial start-up of Outlook Express or after the application has been dormant for some time. Generally, the first availbale e-mail message is downloaded and then the process halts and fails with the above errors reported. Subsequent 'Send/Receive' requests are usually successful but with duplicate copies of the first e-mail msg appearing in the Inbox. 

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

JohnS

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Outlook Express 6 (Win XP) 'Send/Receive' server problem ..

Please see the forum search results below

0x800CCC0F

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Jstruthio

Hello Keith,

Many thanks for sharing the search reasults for the 0x800CCC0F error.

I've now scanned through the responses, these generally indicate this error is a BT server side issue rather than an Outlook Express or Win XP problem. For me, this problem occurs regardless of e-mail msg quantity and/or email attachment size. My OE is configured to delete messages from the server after downloading them - so there is never a huge number of msgs to download throughtout the day - typically 1 to 4 per OE session. 

Interesting to note that there's an increasing frequency of reponses reporting this problem within the past few months indicating an underlying 'problem' trend which isn't being fully resolved by BT Support. 

I'm now experimenting with the Mozilla Thunderbird email app which so far doesn't report any issues when interacting with the BT mail server. However, I really would like to stick with Outlook Express and get back to reliable downloads from the mail server. As things were a few months ago.

John S    

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Unless you can persuade Outlook Express to use IMAP, then you are going to be stuck with the POP3 problem.

I assume that you are using IMAP with Thundrrbird?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Jstruthio

Hello Keith,

Just checked, the server settings for my e-mail accounts within Thunderbird are 'POP'.

JohnS

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Its actually quite difficult to chang the settings once the Thunderbird account is set up.

The easiest way is to create a additional account and call it Yahoo IMAP or similar. Ender your name, e-mail details, and password.

Then Thunderbird will look up in the Mozilla ISP database, and give you the options of using IMAP or POP3.

Select IMAP (local folders) and then it will authenticate and synchronise yor mail with Yahoo.

You can then delete the old  POP3 account.