Beginner
Peter321

Outlook unable to connect to POP3 or SMTP servers

Hi, I'm new to BT and using a forum for help with a problem for the first time.  I would be most grateful if someone could provide a solution to my problem.

I changed my ISP from Talktalk to BT and the switch was made on 5th Aug.  I would prefer to use Outlook for my email and I have been assured by BT that their system supports Outlook.  I am on Broadband Option 1 and have a BT Homehub 3.  I used the BT Desk top help to connect to Outlook.  The connection was made and I used Outlook successfully for about 2 weeks.  I then could not connect with the server for no apparent reason.  I checked all connections and settings and even got BT to check the account settings but still no connection.  Then suddenly Outlook came to life and was OK for 2 days then reverted to being unable to connect.  I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, deleting the Outlook account and reinstating it, checked connectivity and told OK and repairing the email account.  The repair process told me the network connection was established and that it searched for, and obtained, the server settings but it could not log on to the server.

The error message I get when trying to connect my email through Outlook is 'Can not connect to incoming (POP3) email server, error code 0x80042108, same message for the outgoing (SMTP) server, error code 0x80042109

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium and all service packs are up-to-date.  I have Microsoft Office 2007 for Small Business installed and of course Outlook is part of this package.  My hub connection is hard wired using an ethernet connection and I have filters on all phone lines.  I have no problem accessing websites and I am able to get my email as webmail on the BT/Yahoo website.  BT techies believe my Outlook programme is corrupted and should be uninstalled then reinstalled.  I am reluctant to do this because I will have to uninstall and reinstall the whole of Microsoft Office (I think).  I hope I have provided all the necessary information. 

Comments and suggestions would be most welcome.  Thank you. 

Expert
geaves

Re: Outlook unable to connect to POP3 or SMTP servers

Have you tried increasing the server time out option?.....gotta think where this...

Tools\Accounts or Account Settings\Select the email account\Change\More Settings\Advanced, if this is right you should see a slider bar for the server time out option.....move to the right to increase this, then try again.....shot in the dark this but might be the problem,

Guru
toekneem

Hi Peter.

Double check your mail settings, have a look here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9962

But it could be just BT mailserver normal  hiccups.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Guru
Andy_N

H
Peter321 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to BT and using a forum for help with a problem for the first time.  I would be most grateful if someone could provide a solution to my problem.

I changed my ISP from Talktalk to BT and the switch was made on 5th Aug.  I would prefer to use Outlook for my email and I have been assured by BT that their system supports Outlook.  I am on Broadband Option 1 and have a BT Homehub 3.  I used the BT Desk top help to connect to Outlook.  The connection was made and I used Outlook successfully for about 2 weeks.  I then could not connect with the server for no apparent reason.  I checked all connections and settings and even got BT to check the account settings but still no connection.  Then suddenly Outlook came to life and was OK for 2 days then reverted to being unable to connect.  I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, deleting the Outlook account and reinstating it, checked connectivity and told OK and repairing the email account.  The repair process told me the network connection was established and that it searched for, and obtained, the server settings but it could not log on to the server.

The error message I get when trying to connect my email through Outlook is 'Can not connect to incoming (POP3) email server, error code 0x80042108, same message for the outgoing (SMTP) server, error code 0x80042109

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium and all service packs are up-to-date.  I have Microsoft Office 2007 for Small Business installed and of course Outlook is part of this package.  My hub connection is hard wired using an ethernet connection and I have filters on all phone lines.  I have no problem accessing websites and I am able to get my email as webmail on the BT/Yahoo website.  BT techies believe my Outlook programme is corrupted and should be uninstalled then reinstalled.  I am reluctant to do this because I will have to uninstall and reinstall the whole of Microsoft Office (I think).  I hope I have provided all the necessary information. 

Comments and suggestions would be most welcome.  Thank you. 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

To be honest, it sounds like you've not quite got the settings correct. Have you made sure that any old TalkTalk details have been changed to the BT ones (pop/smtp server is mail.btinternet.com in both cases, and make sure that your @btinternet.com email address is used). If you are still using a TalkTalk email address, then this may well not work at all. It depends if the account is cancelled or not.

Outlook, as well as pretty much all the mail client program are supported - there are older obscure ones that will fail due to smtp authentication being needed.

Your Outlook is almost certainly not corrupted, it is the settings that are incorrect.

Beginner
Peter321

Hi Andy_M, thank you for your welcome.  I do not use my old Tiscali email address and everything is changed to my BT address.  The servers are mail.btinternet.com, POP3 port number is 110 and SMTP port number is 25.  I believe these are the BT designated server connections.  I also felt Outlook was not corrupted.  Any more suggestions would be welcome.  Thank you for your interest.

Beginner
Peter321

Thank you for your suggestion.  Tried it but unfortunately didn't work.  You said it was a long shot but thankyou for your time.

Beginner
Peter321

Hi toekneem, Thank you for your suggestion.  I used the BT website to set up several times, both manually and automatically and had these checked by 2 BT techies, connectivity checks showed all connections made EXCEPT the final connection to the server.  I've been trying to solve this for 5 days so doubt the servers would be down for this amount of time or BT customers would be complaining vociferously.  Any other suggestions would be welcome and thank you for your time

Aspiring Expert
deltaflyer

just a stab in the dark, have you checked your security settings?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
Guru
Andy_N

Peter321 wrote:

Hi toekneem, Thank you for your suggestion.  I used the BT website to set up several times, both manually and automatically and had these checked by 2 BT techies, connectivity checks showed all connections made EXCEPT the final connection to the server.  I've been trying to solve this for 5 days so doubt the servers would be down for this amount of time or BT customers would be complaining vociferously.  Any other suggestions would be welcome and thank you for your time

Hi again.

What version of Outlook are you using ?

Usually it's generally one or the other for pop3 or smtp, but not both. That indicates a local issue - possibly as mentioned some form of security program doing the blocking. What anti-virus or other security package (including firewalls) are you using ? Within any of them, look at the settings and turn of "email scanning" or similar wording for bith sending and receiving emails.

It could be that the chage of server from Tiscali has caused this problem.

If it is Norton, sometimes only a complete removal and reinstallation of Norton will clear the problem (or just a complete removal ...)

Beginner
Peter321

Hi Andy_N Thank you for your continued interest.

I'm using Outlook 2007.  I will look at my security settings.  I started doing this last night but we had to go out so am starting again this am.  I'm using Microsoft Essentials for my security except for my firewall which is Webroot.  I shall follow your advice and also check that the IP addresses are correct now.