MichaelBall

Parental Control / Content Filter

Is there a way of applying a content filter at hub level (ie so that it applies to all devices that connect wirelessly)?  The Family Protect software, if I understand correctly, has to be loaded on individual devices, which is really workable what with i-pods, i-pads as well as laptops etc.

Thanks in advance

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Parental Control / Content Filter

It cannot be done with any of the BT Home Hubs, you have to use a different router like the TP-Link TD-W8960N, or a similar router which has parental controls built in.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
14four

Try Open DNS url: www.opendns.com Follow the instructions on the site to set up filtering through DNS which will block inappropriate content across your entire network or on individual devices depending on how you set it up. And it's free.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Unfortunately the BT Home hub will not allow you to change the DNS settings, and changing them on each device is not always possible, and is easily overridden.

You also need to use a router with a firewall that can block port 53 requests, otherwise people can bypass OpenDNS by changing the DNS settings on their device.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.