Beginner
thisisgettingsilly
Accepted Solution

Phone connected to hub dials out but won't connect

Hi.

Have a BT phone attached to Hub 2.0 which has been (and says it is) registered for Broadband Talk. Phone rings and receives calls and has previously made calls. However, although I get BB dialling tone and it seems to dial out, it won't pick up the dialled number and, after a short delay, just drops out. All other services working and customer support says lines are all ok. Have restarted Hub. Any ideas?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Phone connected to hub dials out but won't connect

thisisgettingsilly wrote:

Hi.

Have a BT phone attached to Hub 2.0 which has been (and says it is) registered for Broadband Talk. Phone rings and receives calls and has previously made calls. However, although I get BB dialling tone and it seems to dial out, it won't pick up the dialled number and, after a short delay, just drops out. All other services working and customer support says lines are all ok. Have restarted Hub. Any ideas?

Is a phone plugged into the phone socket at back of the hub, or are you using a hub phone?

If you dial  "5" first, do you get normal dial tone, and can you then dial out?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
thisisgettingsilly

Hi Keith,

It's an ordinary BT phone and plugged into the socket at the back of the Hub. We've changed nothing since it was last successfully used.

Beginner
thisisgettingsilly

Have just tried and it dials through completely fine when toggled using 5.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Normally this is a routing problem which is cured by restarting the hub, provided that your WAN IP address changes.

That is all I have ever done if BBT stops working.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
thisisgettingsilly

when i press 5 first then it works fine

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

When you finish here, turn the power off to the hub and leave it off for about 30 seconds, then power it up again. When the phone light comes back on, then try it again.

You should have a new IP address then.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Just a thought, are you sure that the phone has not accidentally been switched to pulse dialling instead of tone dialling?

Can you hear the tones when you dial?

Beginner
thisisgettingsilly

Not this time i'm afraid. Have just tried a restart and the lights are on but it still won't connect.

Beginner
thisisgettingsilly

Keith,

You've been v helpful and I've made a pig's ear of this forum. Will try the switch off.

Cheers