jparton
Accepted Solution

Port Forwarding on Home Hub 4

OK, first post here. Hello.

I've searched the forums and checked the FAQ's for an answer, no joy.

I simply need to open port 9000 on my HH4 to allow out of home access to my new Buffalo NAS.

The port fowarding FAQ - here - does not work:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43715

If you follow the instructions to setup a customer application you can enter the port you need, however once saved, your custome app does not then appear in the Application drop down list so it is impossible to associate it with a device (the NAS in my case)

Has anyone manged to get port forwarding on a custom app working for a HH4?

As an aside FTP does not seem to appear as an optional protocol to open - is this not supported?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Port Forwarding on Home Hub 4

[ Edited ]

This guide may help, as it refers to the earlier hubs. Not sure whether the screens are the same.

Port forwarding problems

You should be able to add FTP as a custom application.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

jparton

Thanks Keith,

I did check that guide out, unfortunaly things have changed on the HH4 meaning the problem I describe scuppers any progress.

jparton

Well I indirectly solved the problem. Although I can not see a way to open a port and associate it with a device on the new HH4, I placed my NAS in the routers DMZ and now I can see it from outside the home network.
Contributor
db218

Placing any device in the DMZ opens it to attack

FTP is defined in the HH4 port forwarding settings page in the Game or Application list. http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

I.E. Settings > Port Forwarding

If you ned to define port forwarding for something not in the list you would need to use advanced settings to define the unlisted application or game.
ArcticSpunkey

I'm having the same problems with this.  I have a LinkStation Live NAS that is connected to my Homehub 4 and I access UTorrent as the torrent software through it.  I've just gone live with BT Infinity 2 (my speeds are 53meg down, 16meg up) and am trying to open up port 55343 for UTorrent.

I've logged into the homehub 4 and gone to the advanced settings to create a new application called Utorrent that links to my Linkstation device and set Port Forwarding on the hub 4 to port 55343.

Cannot for the life of me work out why I am only getting download speeds on average of 1.5 kb/s and 4.5 kb/s up?  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Beginner
fjpickett

Not 'solved' surely, when the solution admits that " I can not see a way to open a port and associate it with a device on the new HH4", which was the original query?

I have the same problem - Port Forwarding is under 'settings' but only allows selection from a list. New devices have to be added under 'advanced' but the option doesn't exist there, in contrast to the HH3, where configuration and Port Forwarding are both menu options. The A-Z help, which presumably was cut and pasted from the HH3, repeats the original instructions, and you are caught in a loop where you are pointed to a non-existent option.

I just want to add a device in the same way as I have done with the HH3! Please...

Stevehoskins

I have port forwarding set up OK on a couple of IPCams, but the HH4 keeps "losing" the device name I've given one of the cameras, so the forwarding stops working and I have to rename it again - any ideas ?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Use the IP address not the device name.

This page should help.

Port forwarding problems

There are some CCTV example on this page.

Help with setting up routers, repeaters, Smart TVs, printers, CCTV, NAS, VOIP

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.