Aspiring Contributor
NotAnonJustPro

Portforwarding on BT Home Hub 3

I recently got BT set up and attempted to portforward ports 3001-4001 for server hosting. After following all settings and the suchlike, people are still unable to connect to myexternalip:smileytongue:ortforwardedport

As far as I can tell, it's set up correctly, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix my issue?

Sage
imjolly

Re: Portforwarding on BT Home Hub 3

this is a post done by keith which may help you if you have not read it on the forum already

http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/others/portforward.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
1David1

I got BT Broadband just a few weeks ago, and set up port forwarding on my Home Hub 3 last week without "many" problems. It was only after I had successfully done it that I read on this forum just how many people were having problems!  Unfortunately, my HH3 is at a remote location, so I cannot check the settings just now but - from memory - I think the point to remember is that you can set up forwarding but you also have to "apply" it.

Go into the advanced settings and set up what you want to do. Then come out of that page, and go to ... IIRC its called "home network" ... where you get a graphic showing you the devices connected to your router. Click on the device youre forwarding to, and you get a page of information about it. At the bottom of the page it tells you the forwarding that's in place and, again IIRC, there's a box marked Apply, that you have to click.

Im sorry I cant be more explicit. This is from memory. It did take me several goes to get it to work, until I realised that there was a bizarre several-stage process to get the settings to "take".

Another tip:  If you want to change a port forwarding rule, you might need to delete it and re-create it rather than edit it.

Port forwarding with the Home Hub is a pain - far less easy to do than with any "normal" router. I think I was just lucky in getting it right on my system.

Aspiring Contributor
NotAnonJustPro

My PC's static IP is set to 192.168.1.50, as per the guide, and I have confirmed everything is applied correctly, still no dice.

Aspiring Contributor
NotAnonJustPro

Bumping... This is an important problem for me, the reason I took BT was because I was promised the ability to properly portforward and serverhost from my home connection, if I can't, I'll change.

Aspiring Contributor
spencert

Make sure to double check it this server can ping the hub. If it can't, port forwarding will not work here. 

Aspiring Contributor
NotAnonJustPro

Nothing? How grandly useless this is...

Sage
john46

NotAnonJustPro
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

you will have to wait for a reply until a community member with knowledge of your problem reads your post and can reply to you

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
simcon

[ Edited ]

What you have to do is don't select device name use the ip address of the device. You can only do this in advanced mode. Select the last option in the device name list which allows you to enter the device ip address. The router doesn't support local loop back mode so you can't test out your dyndns setting from within your local network by going out to the internet in IE. You will need to try it from another location such as your work place or internet coffee shop.

Neil 

Aspiring Contributor
slowtarget

Thank you - very helpful ... I've been tearing my hair out with this ... wish things would work like it says on the tin.