Aspiring Contributor
Sukipurr
Accepted Solution

Printer connection to BT Hub 3

Hi, today I received my BT Hub 3 and connected to the Internet. All easy, done in 10 minutes and I was pleased with myself. I have since spent 6 hrs trying to wirelessly connect my Brother DCP 340CW Printer to the new Hub. The Hub SSID appears in the printer viewing window as I muddle my way around the menu but my computer says it is offline. (The printer is found on my computer just not connecting) Any ideas anyone....sorry but not too technical please! Many thanks

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Printer connection to BT Hub 3

[ Edited ]

You may have to change the encryption type on the home hub to WPA only, and not WPA/WPA2, as older devices can have problems.

See

Wireless connection problems

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Sukipurr

Keith.Thank you. It is obviously not as straightforward as I though (looked at the link) My son (who is on holiday) spoke to me on the phone tonight and suggested downloading updated drivers, which seems to fit in with what the link recommended. I will have to wait until he returns I think, but thank you for your help.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

There is a help page for the printer here

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/faq/faq_list.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Sukipurr

Keith. I can see that the LCD screen is showing a strong internet connection on the printer (I had done the tasks set out in the link) but I don't understand why my computer is no longer talking to my printer.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

What where you using before, when it did connect to your computer?

Aspiring Contributor
Sukipurr

KEITH, good morning. To be honest I was just fiddling about with the menu on the printer and suddenly it said "connected" and then I could see the strong internet connection showing in LCD window. But if I try to add a printer on my computer and it searches for existing printers, it doesn't find any. The hub had also set my network to a default "workgroup" so this morning I changed that to "homegroup" which I had until yesterday with AOL. (Now I am with BT, switchover yesterday) It hasn't made any diff though. Thanks......KEITH

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

When you mention homegroup, I assume you must be using Windows7?

If you are connecting non-Windows devices, its best not to use the homegroup facility in Windows.

I would just keep everthing in the Workgroup domain.

You really need someone who is familiar with networking, to actually look at what is going on, as its almost impossible to diagnose this sort of problem from a distance.

Addressing the printer by its IP address may help.

Aspiring Contributor
Sukipurr

Keith, yes I am using windows 7...and workgroup was the default setting BT set. I only changed it half an hr ago to homegroup (which I was on before) I did see a box on the computer where I could insert the IP address, but my son set the printer up originally (and unlike me, never writes things down) so I don't know the IP address or how to find it.

I think you are right, I will have to wait until he comes back from holiday and can have a look. I just hate being beaten by something. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If the printer can be set to a static IP address, that makes things easier, because you always know how to address it.

There is a bit of information about static IP addresses below, so its possible that setting the printer manually to

192.168.1.50, may help.

Then it can be accessed by adding a printer to your computer, and specifying the above IP address as the location of the printer.

Using static IP adresses