Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

Problem with DNS on new BT Home Hub 4

I used to have a HH2 which worked fine with my Dell PC running Windows 7.  Now I have upgraded to BT HH 4, I get the following error message after running BT Desktop Help: 

Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server).

This applies when connected either by ethernet cable or by wireless.  The PC is connected to the HH, but can't get onto the internet.  Other devices can access internet via the HH and the light is steady blue.  I have checked for updated software on my wireless adapter, have even tried a new wireless adapter and have checked that  "obtain DNS address automatically" is checked.

Then, bizarrely, I can obtain interent access using the BTWifi connection which is over this router (there are no other BT routers in range), but I would rather have all my devices on my secure network, obviously.

Anyone have any thoughts? 

Distinguished Sage

Re: Problem with DNS on new BT Home Hub 4

try deleting desktop help many people here have found it causes more problems than it solves
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner

thank you for the suggestion - have uninstalled, but that made no difference to the problem

Distinguished Sage

It could be that Windows winsock needs reset.

Have a look at this link and follow it. Try the automatic "Fix it" first. If it won't run then go onto the maual fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Beginner

thanks - tried this earlier today, no improvement - that is, if the winsock is the same as resetting the TCP/IP protocol?

Distinguished Sage

To repair and reset the Windows winsock

1. Click on Start button.
  2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
  3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
  4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
  5. Restart the computer.
Beginner

Thanks, but that made no difference. Any other thoughts?

Distinguished Sage

One other thing to try. Some Sony computers had a problem with this so it may work for you.

It could be that your computer has IPv6 selected and is causing a problem. Try disconnecting it as follows:

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP addres and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

Beginner

Have found the solution via a microsoft board, which I repeat here as it may help others:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cant-communicate-with-device-o...

Removing the windows security update didn't help, but that page also links to a McAfee fix and I then ran check for updates in McAfee - success!

many thanks for your help

Distinguished Sage

McAfee strikes again!! What a load of troublesome junk BTNetprotect/ McAfee is. If I were you I would uninstall it altogether and install someother antivirus such as Windows Security Essentials, AVG 2013 Free or Avast Free.

Had you mentioned that you had McAfee installed you would have received the above advice first. Do a search of the forum to see how many people have problems with it.

Glad you got it sorted.