Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Problem with port forwarding on BT Home Hub 3

I am getting the issue where I have no ports forwarded right now and it's telling me I cannot forward some ports giving me the error:

"The game or application you’ve selected conflicts with an application () you’ve already assigned to another device. Please remove the other application or select the same device."

I'm using a Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) firmware on my Home hub 3 if it helps. It is quite an annoying issue as it is stopping me from using certain programs which I need to use.

Distinguished Sage

Re: Problem with port forwarding on BT Home Hub 3

See Port forwarding with home hub

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

So how is this meant to help? I set a static IP then?

Distinguished Sage

Jedders wrote:

So how is this meant to help? I set a static IP then?

Did you read the bit before I mentioned the static IP address, regarding the problems with the home hub 3, and port forwarding?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it's prob a bit late by now but I started getting the:

The game or application you’ve selected conflicts with an application () you’ve already assigned to another device.

Error message about 10 mins ago when I started setting up some port forwards... and I managed to work out what it was and fix it. I thought I'd just share it here for any others that stumble on the thread.

I was attempting to set up Air Video Server so I can stream to my iPhone from the Internet. I created the port forward and added in the port. Clicked save and got the error message. The error occurs because the rule already exists on the router but it is not named (hence the () in the error message). This is because the device you are attempting to port forward to has automatically created the rule itself via uPNP.

I opened up the Air Video Server application and on the 'remote' tab it had and option to 'Automatically Map Port' via uPNP.

I unticked the box and it removed the uPNP port forward from the router. I could then create the rule manually. Interestingly, disabling uPNP on the router did not allow me to create the rule.  I guess disabling uPNP does not actually remove any uPNP created rules, which is a bit of a bug imho. Anyway, to cut an already long story short, if you get this error, disable uPNP on the device or in the software you are attempting to configure, and try again.

Aspiring Contributor

I've just got this error again... But the uPNP thing did not apply as my PC hasn't even been switched on in the past 5 weeks.

But I found another workaround so I thought I'd share that too.

I was changing a number of port forwards to point to my new NAS device. All four of the rules I wanted to change came up with the same error (The game or application you’ve selected conflicts with an application () you’ve already assigned to another device.) when I was trying to save them.

I found that by simply pressing F5 on the error page, it refreshes the error page, but also manages to save the settings. I repeated this for each of the four port forward rules and everything is now working as expected.

I obviously also have problems of port forwarding because all HH3 have this problem (and even newer HH routers). It also happens that if you modify a rule (e.g. deleting a custom rule) other custom rules will be affected despite on different ports/assigend to a different computer.

Try this: instead of creating a new application rule with normal name "e.g. game1, server1, etc.", try to suffix it with an underscore, such as "_game1, _server1".

Before I did that I saw strange things, e.g. custom rules, after clicking "apply" where modified and the port number where completely different from what I wrote. This seems not to happen anymore since I use "_" sufficx on the name.

Surely the bug in the firmware involve using a hash of the name as the key for the rule or some huge similar mistake.

This router would be user friendly but on the contrary it is very unfriendly even for technicians because it doesn't work properly.

Distinguished Sage

None of the home hubs like spaces in the names of devices or applications. The home hub 1 will actually flag this up as "invalid name", but the later home hubs seem to accept it, even though its an error condition.

My recommendation is to avoid spaces or other non-alphanumeric characters in any application names, and if you need to map to a device, then use its IP address instead, and ensure that the IP address is made static.

Beginner

If your running a HH3 and you have tried all the suggested fixes on the various forums and come to the same conclusion as scores of other....like it doesn't work, then do the following and save yourself a lot of grief and quick.
If you are still running one of these, your contract with BT will almost certainly have expired.
Go to the BT Support Page and Chat Online
Explain that you have a problem with Port Forwarding
They will not be able to help but will put you forward or give you the number for the technical help line.
They don't have the skills to fix the fault either. But when you explain that this is a known fault with the router and there is no fix, they will helpfully advise that you can have the HH4 on the basis that you renew with BT for another 18 months.
My tariff was reviewed and I ended up paying c£4 a month less for the same service.
I only had to pay a few quid for the HH4 delivery.
No issues, no hassle just a cracking service....wish I had gone there earlier.