Beginner
Jeff_Erton

Re: Problem with sending & receiving emails via outlook

Well strangely enough I have had no email issues since replying to your post last night and none so far today at all.

Yesterday evening the log in box popped up a couple of times only. Up till then it was happening everytime I went to check my mail.

I'm inclined to leave things as they are at the moment - "if it's unbusted itself, don't you try and unbust it too" to misquote.

I'll keep your links handy though.

One strange thing when Outlook is sending/receiving it always shows up a dialogue box that tells me "6 out of 7 tasks have been performed successfuilly.  It then goes on to download any mail which may be 1 or 2 or 10 for example.

Any idea what's happening there?

V8
Aspiring Contributor
V8

My e-mail is playing up again.  What complete and utter rubbish this service is! 

I have been trying to send an important e-mail for most of yesterday, all through the night and through to this morning, and the damned thing still won't send.  Same old problem.

What RUBBISH!  I never had anything like this with Tiscali. 

Guru
Andy_N

V8 wrote:

My e-mail is playing up again.  What complete and utter rubbish this service is! 

I have been trying to send an important e-mail for most of yesterday, all through the night and through to this morning, and the damned thing still won't send.  Same old problem.

What RUBBISH!  I never had anything like this with Tiscali. 

Hi.

Are you using a mail client program ? What is the error message you are receiving ?

Have a look at my shortcuts, option 0d/h for a possible workaround.

V8
Aspiring Contributor
V8

Hello

It's exactly the same problem as described by the original poster.  I'm using Outlook.  Everything I have read on this subject points towards it being a problem at the other end.

Incidentally, yesterday I tried to log into BT-Yahoo e-mail, in order to try to prompt that bizarre scenario whereby it causes everything to work if you happen to have a webmail browser window open at the same time, but it couldn't find the BT-Yahoo mail servers, so I presume they were offline.  This wasn't the case on the previous occurrences. 

My e-mail finally went tonight, so that's over 24 hours of trying. 

Guru
Andy_N

V8 wrote:

Hello

It's exactly the same problem as described by the original poster.  I'm using Outlook.  Everything I have read on this subject points towards it being a problem at the other end.

Incidentally, yesterday I tried to log into BT-Yahoo e-mail, in order to try to prompt that bizarre scenario whereby it causes everything to work if you happen to have a webmail browser window open at the same time, but it couldn't find the BT-Yahoo mail servers, so I presume they were offline.  This wasn't the case on the previous occurrences. 

My e-mail finally went tonight, so that's over 24 hours of trying. 

Hi again.

Yes indeed it's a BTYahoo! mail server problem. You may still like to alter the details in the Outlook settings to enter the servers (and your full email address) I mention in that shortcut option 0d/h.

V8
Aspiring Contributor
V8

Okay, I'll have a look at that in a moment. 

Thank you for your reply :smileyhappy:

Expert
vofsanity2

[ Edited ]

V8,

In my case the problem has been fixed by logging in and logging off from webmail without doing anything else. This has worked consistently on several (over 10) occasions. To my knowledge nobody has come up with an explanation for this and despite supplying BT and Yahoo with this information have no evidence that they have investigated this bizarre behavior.

Leaving the browser window open and logged in may not work.

billyj

Hi

I had the same problem, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.

Contacted BT technical help who acknowledged it was a known problem. They said they could change some settings on my computer, used remote access to test outlook and of course it worked fine! So they left it as it was with the instruction to contact them again in the event of more problems. Of course it failed again allmost immediately!

I found this thread and tried Andy_N option 0d/h and now working perfectly.

Thanks Andy

Why BT technical help could not have suggeted this I don't know!

Guru
Andy_N

billyj wrote:

Hi

I had the same problem, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.

Contacted BT technical help who acknowledged it was a known problem. They said they could change some settings on my computer, used remote access to test outlook and of course it worked fine! So they left it as it was with the instruction to contact them again in the event of more problems. Of course it failed again allmost immediately!

I found this thread and tried Andy_N option 0d/h and now working perfectly.

Thanks Andy

Why BT technical help could not have suggeted this I don't know!

Hi, Welcome to the forums.

It's actually quite a little known trick I found out a few years back when Yahoo! took over the mail server system for BTinternet. It's not an obvious thing either, and even less obvious is the use of a Yahoo! profile rather than an email address!

lochpark

Hi,

Help guys !

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem, unfortunately I persevered and tried to resolve myself believing the Outlook was at fault. I found that if I used BT's desktop Helper to repair my email settings which involved resetting my password it worked for a while.

Today though, even this does not work.

I have tried Andy_N's workaround and even this does not work for me.

I have one main account and one sub account and the problem only seems to effect my main one, everytime I run the desktop helper, the sub account always tests OK.

Cheers

Shaun