Beginner
cfc5mu0
Accepted Solution

Slow speed via wifi range extender

I'm on BT infinity and I have a windows computer, an Imac, a HH3 and a netgear WN3000RP wifi  range extender. The windows PC is in a annex on a different electrical mains supply to where the HH3 is and too far for the HH3 wifi signal to reach. I use the above netgear extender, suitably pass worded etc. to connect the PC to the internet and the signal strength is good at the pc and has no drop outs.

My issue is surfing the net via the windows PC is noticeably slower. When I run the global speed test from sppedtest.net on the windows pc I get 1mbps and 0.2mbps when I run the same test on the imac connected via wifi to the HH3 not via the extender get 1mbps and 20mbps.

Is there anything I should look for the see how I can improve this situation or has any one else seen this problem. I'm not bad on PC's but definitely not an expert. I've has BT for 6 months or so and this is my first post.

Thanks.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Slow speed via wifi range extender

A range extender (Wireless repeater) has to receive a packet of data, then re-transmit it. This slows down the transfer rate considerably.

There is no way to overcome this, its just the way that they work.

When you say that the annex is on a different mains supply, is it still fed from the main feed into the house?

If so, then Powerline adaptors normally work fine.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
cfc5mu0

Ok thanks for the speedy response I 'll just have to put up with it.. I have some powerline adapters (TP-link av500's) but I couldn't get them to work in the annex - glorified back room of the detached garage. There are two mains supplies two fuse boards and two bills...oddly.

Thank you.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

I see, well they wont work through an electricity meter, so you are stuck.

You could always run a long Ethernet cable, that would be the best option.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

lewisliu

[ Edited ]

Hi

if you search slow wifi, you will notice this is a common problem experienced by many BT home hub 3 user. A wifi range extender only increase the wifi covering range, the speed is still decided by the modem and the wireless router. BT infinity modem (the white box) is a master piece made Huawei, but the wireless router (home hub 3, recently installed model is type A) is of no issue via cable connection to your PC or Laptop, you can always get 70MB/s download speed on infinity 2. If you connect via wifi, the true download speed you can get may vary dramatically ranging 1 to 35MB/s according to my experience. HH3 looks nice and feel solid in hand but it is just a router fitted with the most basic chipset inside covered by a thick black ABS plastic case. It may be good enough for the most basic uses, i.e. surf the web, one device playing video clip via i.e youtube or iplayer, otherwise it will be extremely slow although the firmware has been updated a couple of times it is still nowhere near perfect yet. You can't really do much about it afterall it is "free" from BT (cost covered by your line rental), do not attempt to ring BT technical support, again it is a call centre based in India I guess, they will simply talk you through to try every different configuration to get it work, don't waste your time as they can make it slightly better but not fundamentally because it has been limited by the inferior HH3. Any business in this world is about making profit then satisfy customer. Customer first is only a slogan in real world. Let's be realistic and face it. Here is the options you can get your wifi speed back to work in an acceptable manner according to my test and IT knowledge:

Option I, get rid of HH3 and buy another brand wireless router (must support PPoE one), the one I have tested so far are two models: a. Asus RT-N56U or b. TP-Link TL-WR 1043ND , just follow the setup procedure without any complex, you should be able get up to run again. On my infinity 2, the average download speed by wifi only (not cable as i will doubt anyone will have an issue with wire connection)  I can get via those two devices are as follows, iphone 3gs, 12MB/s, Samsung Galaxy S3: 42MB/s, iPAD2: 48MB/s, Mac: 72MB/s, a old Sony laptop: 58Mb/s. The difference can be noticed within minutes compared with the BT HH3. Between Asus and TP Link, Asus is faster but dearer, the price difference speaks itself but both are performing times better than HH3.

Option II, no extra money spend and want to live with HH3 (you need to log onto bthomehum setup page by opening web browser then type in 192.168.1.1 or http://bthomehub.home if connecting by LAN cable or 192.168.1.164 via wifi): 1. If all of your home devices support 802.11n, then configure your HH3's to 802.11n 40GHz only then choose the channel that is less traffic, normally 1-10, you need test one by one and see which channel is faster in your household, do not choose smart wireless, which is a rubbish function and not smart at all but unbearably stupid and slow. 2. If the above is not working or not all of your devices supporting 802.11n, change the setup to 802.11 b/g only, don't choose a, which is a slow connection, g format will support upto 54MB/s depending on interferance in your house. Then try the channel one by one till you find the one with fastest download speed.

You need to do the speed test after each configuration and note them down if you can't remember which channel delivers the best speed, sounds tedious but these are the pain in the ass caused by the poor HH3, sorry mate, I am sufferring as well.  After above tuning, you should be able to increase your wifi average speed above 20MB/s depending on devices and hardware specs. The above is based on the devices i tested and BT infinity 2 only (wire connection max download speed 76MB/s). Good luck. 

lewisliu

BT ADSL user won't have much same issue, this is only applicable to BT infinity user.