Aspiring Contributor
Osirian08
Accepted Solution

Spoof e-mails being sent from my account

I really hope someone can help me with this - it is driving me mad....

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been receiving e-mails apparently from myself - with the sender name as "xxxx@btinternet.com" whereas if it was a genuine mail it would have my real name. Assuming it was yet more junk mail I simply deleted them.

However last night I logged into my e-mail account via the webmail interface & found over 400 mails dating back over a week, all of which appeared to be delivery failure notifications to addresses that I didn't recognize. I certainly didn't send them ! Strangely there were no e-mails at all in my sent box. Am I correct in assuming that my e-mail address has been "spoofed" somehow ? If this is the case is there anything I can do to stop it (short of deleting my e-mail account & setting up a new one) ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Spoof e-mails being sent from my account

Use the forum search and you will find the answer.

http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3AOtherBB&q=...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Andy_N

Osirian08 wrote:

I really hope someone can help me with this - it is driving me mad....

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been receiving e-mails apparently from myself - with the sender name as "xxxx@btinternet.com" whereas if it was a genuine mail it would have my real name. Assuming it was yet more junk mail I simply deleted them.

However last night I logged into my e-mail account via the webmail interface & found over 400 mails dating back over a week, all of which appeared to be delivery failure notifications to addresses that I didn't recognize. I certainly didn't send them ! Strangely there were no e-mails at all in my sent box. Am I correct in assuming that my e-mail address has been "spoofed" somehow ? If this is the case is there anything I can do to stop it (short of deleting my e-mail account & setting up a new one) ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve.

I'm afraid there is very little that can be done to stop this. A spammer has chosen (at random) to use your email address as the "From" or "Reply-to" address when sending out a spam run. They never ever use their own email address. As spammers have lists of millions of email addresses, many will not be valid or have just been cancelled etc - hence any emails sent to these will bounce back to the address in the "From" field.

So you will get all these non deliveries in this case, hence the amount you've seen. Some people have got 10s of 1000s of these non delivery responses.

The problem usually dries up to a trickle and eventually stop as the spammer uses another random email address as the "From" address and then that poor person will get the same.

It can happen to any email address, so setting up a new one isn't really going to solve the problem, and as you rightly say your email address has been forged in these spoof emails.

Aspiring Contributor
Osirian08

Andy

Thanks for the quick response - I did fear the worst, that essentially there was nothing I could do :smileymad:

I guess I will have to try & filter the delivery failure garbage mails into a separate folder so that they stay away from my inbox !

Thanks

Steve