Contributor
Akathos

Strict NAT Type: Symmetric -On Wired PC. Need a expert.

Hello there I purchased Test Drive Unlimited 2 for my PC beginning of last week, and negating their server issues. I'm getting 'NAT Type: Strict Symmetric'' which is completely stopping me from doing anything multiplayer, which was the reason for purchasing the game.

So I visited the support forum on the game website.  After searching aimlessly for a fix for this issue I went through the following process.

1. Entered the ports required using the HomeHub manager, - No Success

2. Restarted Router - No Success

3. Disabled Firewall on the Router: No Success

4.Disabled windows firewall - No Success

5.Had a fit of anger. - went well

6.Reset Router to Factory Defaults

7.Posted a thread on gaming site, told me to go to DMZ and change the settings after entering the ports - SUCCESS - it worked.

That was until this morning I went for lunch returned to find the Strict NAT has returned. SO once again blood boiled.

I contacted the BT support. No luck, was over their heads.

So now I'm here as the last ditch attempt to solve this issue. which as far as im aware shouldn't be happening with a wired connection (ethernet). If I could respectfully ask all responses to contain as much detail and clarity as possible, as networking is not my strong point I would be greatly thankful.... Im going insane with frustration...

To clarify.. Mapping -   My Pc - Gateway - Internet

Im on a WIRED ETHERNET cable connection to my router.

Many Thanks!

Contributor
Akathos

Re: Strict NAT Type: Symmetric -On Wired PC. Need a expert.

any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Expert
Geoff93

Have you tried telling the hub to always give the same IP address to your PC?

There are lots of posts on lots of forums about NAT being a problem for gaming for both wired and wireless PCs and consols. Most comment on using the DMZ and forcing a fixed IP address.

To tell the hub to always give the same address
Hub home page – 192.168.1.254
Click on A to Z
Scroll down and click on Home Network or DHCP table
Enter password if requested
Click on device
Click on yes next to Always use this address then apply.

Contributor
Akathos

Hello there thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and followed your directions however.. this game giving me the error Strict NAT is actually on my PC. No console or devices are connected, as I have none in my current home.
I've heard a theory that prehaps it has something to do with a built in firewall on the modem or router, so I went ahead and shutdown the routers firewall as a temporay solution, with no avail.

I also went ahead and tried a factory reset, then adding ports, headed over to the DMZ setting which previously had worked for me, and stopped the NAT issue (untill next morning anyway when it returned) to find that my PC isn't listed on the drop down menu this time to assign the IP address, I used PortFinderStaticIpAddress program to make my ip static to see if that would help.

Is it the router? Or a setting somewhere which needs to be done with BT themselves.

Expert
Geoff93

It seams that you are not the only one with problems. Found this on the game forum which I guess you may have already seen.

http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showthread.php?p=359736
Contributor
Akathos

Yeah I saw this, added my two cents aswell, I managed to get strict to open twice now, then next day or two, returns back to the Strict symmetric even with all ports still open.

Contributor
Akathos

I cant seem to get a permanent fix. Is it Router side or client side... I really need this fixed.

ezio1911

when was red or symmetric my download speed was 20 kB/s  then i disabled firewall i restart my computer i start uplauncher and my download speed was 1000 kB/s :smileyhappy:

Expert
minusdot

I don't know if it's a similar issue, but my son gets a Strict NAT problem with Call Of Duty Black Ops on his PS3 everytime he plays. The workaround for the HH2 is to switch UPnP off then on again on the hub. It's a bit of a pain, but quicker than rebooting the hub each time! And at least this works without resorting to using the DMZ which I would avoid if at all possible.

I even have the UPnP page bookmarked as I have to do it so often - http://api.home/app_upnp.lp?be=1&l0=2&l1=4&l2=2