Frenchy

The New BT Yahoo Mail is terrible (email heading:"We're Upgrading BT Yahoo! Mail")

I received an email about a week ago asking me to upgrade from BT Yahoo Mail Beta to the newer version.  The title of the email was "We're Upgrading BT Yahoo!  Mail".  I was happy with the switch from Classic to Beta because it enabled me to use the chat function in the browser, which is great when I am not at my own computer.  

I thought the new email set-up would be more of the same, but better, but it is SO TERRIBLE.  It looks like a cheap version of hotmail - I stopped using hotmail because it was such a depressing mess.  BT Yahoo! mail Beta was light-coloured and clutter free, so it was easy to see when I typed.  On the new version there are so many applications and menus that there is little space to actually VIEW the messages!    I'm not even thirty, don't need glasses and even I have trouble reading my messages now.

Also, sometimes ads bleed into my messages so I can't read them, and I can't close them down, so I have to close down the whole page and start again.  The messenger service, rather than being better, is worse.  Before if I was in both (messenger in BT Yahoo! mail and the messenger) you could only be in one at a time.  With this, I can be checking my email and chatting on the messenger and messages will also be popping up in my mail browser which is completely annoying.  Also, it keeps interfering with my messenger, minimising it while I'm still using it!  In the end I have to close down my emails if I want to chat to people.  

The whole thing is completely counter-intuitive, and I cannot find basic instructions about how I can change back.  

In the email that prompted me to change it said that "You can switch to BT Yahoo! Mail  Classic by clicking the link in the BT Yahoo! Mail options page" but there is no such option once you've already updated, it would seem.

I emailed to complain and ask to return to either Yahoo Beta or Classic (yes, i'd rather not be able to chat through my browser than continue to use this monstrosity) but got a response that instructed me on how to change back...from Beta to Classic!  I WISH I was on Beta.  Obviously the customer service agent had no idea of what version of yahoo I was on, so I emailed again.  I asked to be responded to by email, but because I inadvertently left my telephone number on my email signature they called me.  i screen calls from unknown numbers and when i checked my messages I was instructed to call them for them to help me.  NO WAY.  I've recently read comments from other dissatisfied customers and all they complain about is spending half a hour talking to Indians they don't understand.  And I refuse to have someone remotely access my computer to do something as simple as changing my mail settings.

Surely, there is a link I can click, or a set of instructions I can follow to do this myself?  I despair.  

If you read this before upgrading DON'T UPGRADE.  Switch back to yahoo classic if you have to.  

Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to get back to Beta or Classic without having to talk to anyone or let anyone raid the technological equivalent of my underwear drawer?

Frenchy.

yvonnema

Re: The New BT Yahoo Mail is terrible (email heading:"We're Upgrading BT Yahoo! Mail")

I to am trying to find out how to change back to Classic.  BT's helpline wasn't helpful.  I was told there is no option to go back.  I miss the rolling calender at the bottom of the page on Classic.  I never missed an apponitment.  Now the emails to remind me come to late to be helpful.  The new callender set up is awful, as the days when something is happening are never hiliighted.  So I have to flick through the month in order to find out in adavance if I have an appointment. So I don't double book.  I hope a BT Tech reads this.  There must be a way of going back to old reliable Classic email 

Guru
Andy_N

Re: The New BT Yahoo Mail is terrible (email heading:"We're Upgrading BT Yahoo! Mail")

yvonnema wrote:

I to am trying to find out how to change back to Classic.  BT's helpline wasn't helpful.  I was told there is no option to go back.  I miss the rolling calender at the bottom of the page on Classic.  I never missed an apponitment.  Now the emails to remind me come to late to be helpful.  The new callender set up is awful, as the days when something is happening are never hiliighted.  So I have to flick through the month in order to find out in adavance if I have an appointment. So I don't double book.  I hope a BT Tech reads this.  There must be a way of going back to old reliable Classic email 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Try this link :-

http://us.mc598.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome

The problem is, the update is a Yahoo! system.

Beginner
alushkacat

SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/jonathanpennington/Desktop/BT%20Yahoo%20functionaility.doc

I have been quite happy with the version of Yahoo mail I was using up to last week (this was NOT the classic, which is still available). I would have continued using the previous version, but was not given this opportunity

Until I changed to the latest version, I could move e-mail from my IN and SENT boxes to the various e-mail folders I use to keep organised: and when I look at these e-mails in the folders I could see TO column, FROM column; along with summary, attachments etc.

With the new system, emails from and to me that I have moved into my folders do not show the TO column any more, only FROM.

This is deterioration in quality and functionality.  Please re-instate this facility.

I will abandon Yahoo if this is not done quickly, and I suspect many others will do the same.

Aspiring Contributor
Bayla

I couldn't agree more. The new version that BT has produced looks just like Hotmail to me. Have never used Hotmail & all family members who have done in the past have moved onto Gmail.   If I can't get my old BT Yahoo Mail back I'll be following them!

My main problem is that I can no longer view attachments immediately unless I download them. Instead of thumbnails in the body of the message all I see are icons - it has taken over 3 HOURS this morning for three icons to change to thumbnails!!, and I'm still waiting to be able to view them when I click on 'View slideshow' And that is just one email!

In my opinion, if it ain't broken, why fix it? And at least give us the option of reverting back to the old BT Yahoo Mail.

edendouglas

Is it just me? I can't access attachments in my inbox, nor can I forward the email to another account to open it anywhere else.

i can't revert back to Classic, and Options just opens up a repeat of my email window?

Anybody any suggestions??

I wish I had not changed and am about to move from BT with all the grief that goes with it.

What an ill managed product.

Expert
geaves

Hi to you all, as Andy has pointed out this is not a BT product, it's a yahoo product, whatever arrangement BT have with Yahoo the changes Yahoo make will affect BT customers and unfortuantely there's nothing that can be done by BT to make changes to a system that is not theirs.

It's obviously not to everyone's liking but there is so much choice out there actually finding something that has the functionality that everyone wants and expects can be a minefield and I understand the frustration.

Personally I still collect my mail via a client, but I also have the option set up for webmail so if one goes t* up I have an alternative.

Aspiring Contributor
Bayla

[ Edited ]

yvonnema wrote:

In response to a question put to the Helpdesk I got a call today from a gentleman whose accent was hard for me to understand - I kept having to tell him to repeat himself- but the gist I got was that I would have to be patient, there are lots of problems with the new BT Yahoo Mail, but they hoped to have them ironed out by the end of the month

I asked if it was possible to switch back to the old Beta or Classic and he showed me how: you need sign out and then to change the screen resolution to 800x600 (which the new BTY Mail doesn't support) and then when you sign back in you will be given the option to revert back. When you then change your screen resolution back to how it was, the old BTY Mail remains. Just tried it and it works :-)

Contributor
George99

I tried the new BT Yahoo some time ago and thougt it was rubbish.

Assuming the facility is still there, to change back to the Classic version. Close BT Yahoo Mail then:-

1. Right click on your Desktop.

2. Select "Properties".

3. Select "Settings".

4. Slide the "Screen Resolution" arrow from "More" to "Less".

5. Click OK. Wait for the change to take place. After which your pages will be larger.

6. Re-open BT Yahoo Mail and you should see a button which you can select to "Return to Classic Version". Click it.

7. When you have done that repeat above procedure to change your screen resolution back to Maximum(More).

Why the return button isn't available in normal screen resolution only heaven(& BT Yahoo) knows.

The above worked for me but I don't know if it's still available. Good Luck!

Aspiring Expert
Ocean

George99: Thanks mate. That worked a treat. I much prefer the old Yahoo mail :smileyhappy:

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.