Zooropa

Unable to Download email attachments using Yahoo mail

Hi,

I have just got myself a new PC with Windows 7 (64bits). Using IE 8 (32 bit version), I am unable to download emails attachments from my normal Yahoo account (xxx@yahoo.co.uk). I have read somewhere that this could be due to the fact that Yahoo uses Norton as antivirus scan for email attachments, and that this could clash with BT NetProtectPlus (McAfee under the bonnet). Is there an option I need to switch off (and if so which one / how) in BT NetProtectPlus in order for me to be able to download attachments via Yahoo mail ?

Please note that this used to work on my previous PC (Windowx XP).

Thanks for your help. This is getting really frustrating !

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Unable to Download email attachments using Yahoo mail

Zooropa wrote:

Hi,

I have just got myself a new PC with Windows 7 (64bits). Using IE 8 (32 bit version), I am unable to download emails attachments from my normal Yahoo account (xxx@yahoo.co.uk). I have read somewhere that this could be due to the fact that Yahoo uses Norton as antivirus scan for email attachments, and that this could clash with BT NetProtectPlus (McAfee under the bonnet). Is there an option I need to switch off (and if so which one / how) in BT NetProtectPlus in order for me to be able to download attachments via Yahoo mail ?

Please note that this used to work on my previous PC (Windowx XP).

Thanks for your help. This is getting really frustrating !

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

To be honest, there would not really be a clash between the products you've mentioned, because the online system using Norton is a server system and actioned before any download. There is possibly an option in BTNetprotect for "email scanning" or similar. This option can be turned off in the general case, since disk writes are covered anyway,

Have you tried another browser (e.g. Firefox, Opera or Safari) to see if the same conditions exist ?

Is there any particular error message or delay you are seeing ?

Zooropa

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Really weird ... I tested at the time using Google mail (same browser), no issue to download attachments (same email forwarded). I tried again today, same email (back in Yahoo mail this time), and the weird thing, is that it now work !!!! I have absolutely no explanation as to why this has happened !

I had a look at BT NetprotectPlus to find some parameters for disabling email scanning but couldn't really find anything obvious. I haven't changed anything to my parameters, PC settings etc ... However it seems to be working now ! I know this doesn't make sense, and would have loved to understand why ths was happening.

The download window, was simply stuck previously (no error message displayed, just running with no end). It can't be any issue with the PC (brand new, I7, 8GB RAM, so enough memory). I have simply no explanation as to why this happened ! But anyway, it looks like this is now sorted. I was just wondering whether this was a known issue.

I seemed to have different behaviours using IE8 in 64 bits mode ... I haven't tried any other browser yet. I'll need to explore this further. In any case, thank you for your help. If I find anything meaningful as to why this happened, I will post it here. Cheers !

Howard49

Recently found that I am unable to download attachments using BTYahoo internet email.  Small simple attachments.  A 4kb pdf file I get monthy but now cannot download.  A 30kb word file from a regular mate of mine.  Nothing difficult.  I use google chrome, have done for 3 years now.  Have tried unsuccessfully using firefox.  Still cannot download from my BT mail account.  Doesn't work using same account on different pc.  My wife can download attachments form her btinternet mail account but I cannot.  If I forward my mail to her she can download the attachment.  I cannot.

But I can download attachments from a gmail account.  That works fine.  BTinternet.com doesn't.

Have complained to BT 3 times now and they have done effectively nothing.

Any clues?

Howard